spent the day on l&d

edited August 2011 in Pregnant
Been getting contractions on and off today and yesterday so headed to l&d. They had me hooked up to everything and could see I was contracting...but they gave me this swab and tested it, then told me that the swab says I'm not likely to go into labour within the next 2 weeks, Wtf! Has anyone come across this mind reading swab before, cause is seriously like to ask it next weeks lotto numbers lol. Well I'm still contracting but cause there's no pattern they sent me home :S

Comments

• Haha I've never heard of that before!!! How far along are you?
  • I have heard of it but never had it done. Hope everything turns out ok for you and baby!
  • @usafwife_21 I'm 32 weeks tomorrow. Soooo weird lmao. X
  • Fibronectin or something like that. It measures the "glue" that holds the baby to the it starts to break down and leak into the vagina. Its only 50% effective.
  • @bigmamak thanks, I'm sure it'll be fine, she's still moving loads but midwife says she's head down x
  • @ll10 thanks, I didn't even think to ask, I just wanted to get home.. she did say to keep timing them and come in if anything changes x
  • Ooooh! I wanna do the swab thing! Lol.. I'm 37 weeks, id like to know if I'm gonna go into labor sometime in the next 2 weeks!
  • I hope that test works well for you and your baby bakes just a little bit longer! :)
  • Ffn test I just had it too
    It was neg
    I want to know how accurate they are cuz now at every appt I will get one n a cervix check
    I'm 27 weeks
    And I thought all this checking would actually irritate cervix
    I have def contracts every 3 min on moniter but they do nothing
    They gave me steroids n course of 3 pills to calm contracts. That worked about 1 day.
    Also on strict bedrest just allowed to go bathroom.
    Yay :/ not
    Basically even with these test my Dr today pretty much said I will have a pretern delivery...so Wtf more can I do? But sit n wait....sorry to vent on ur post about my problem
  • Ive never heard of that. Good luck to you. Im 32 weeks today
  • @lily_glz lol, I'm thinking of going in every 2 weeks so I can get some sort of time frame lmao:-)
  • Lol!! Right?!
  • @usafwife_21 thanks, I defo wanna keep her in for atleast another 6 weeks. @urmomwasright I'm sorry hunny, bed rest Sucks big time. I really hope you keep little one safe for a while longer. My midwife wouldn't check as she.said the same though,.all that messing around.down there could givee infection and make things worse
  • @Tinknbob yeah, you due on the 3rd then?
  • @cheryl74 yea I'm due on October 3rd.
  • @Tinknbob yeah, I'm the 4th, are you all sorted yet x
  • Almost. i only have a couple little things to get. what about you? @cheryl74
  • edited August 2011
    Its an ffn test.(fetal fibronectin "sp?") It measures your glue on your cervix. Its 99% accurate with a negative result, NOT 50%! If you get a positive result, there is a slight chance for false positives but is still accurate. They use it for women who are not full term and have preterm labor issues.

It is 95% accurate all around between both positive and negative results, so very unlikely baby will come within 2 weeks ladies but if it continues after 2 weeks the test may have to be done again to check again for the next 2 weeks.
  • edited August 2011
    Yup, I had it 3 weeks ago at 30 weeks cause I was having too many contractions. It's a fetal fibronectin exam. I stayed in L&D for 48 hours and my cervix wasn't changing, still closed and long. Here I am 3 weeks later...you would think they would do it again to see what's the likelihood now :/ I'm still having a ton of contractions and was back at L&D on Friday for some bleeding. Cervix still closed. They said some people just have a lot of pointless contractions.
  • I've had 3 ffn tests now. If you get a negative it is VERY accurate at 99%. If it's positive it's only 11% chance you'll go into labor within 2 weeks. It's only done if you're showing signs of pre-term labor and it's to get a negative result not a positive.
  • @Tinknbob sort of lol. I keep thinking I'm done and then remember something else :-) @MommyOfTwoPrincesses @Mrsforesee @PebblesMommy thanks ladies. I'm feeling back to normal now (well as normal as a pregnant whale can feel lol) its quite nice to be able to feel reasured that she's staying put. I hope all your pregnancies and labours ate perfect x x
  • @cheryl74 I agree. I keep doing the same thing. I don't think we are ever done with shopping and forgetting things we still need for baby or any of our kids for that matter. Even myself sometimes. lol.
  • Good to hear hun! :)