Gestational Diabetes

edited August 2011 in Health
So I went to do my 1 hr drink test yesterday and I bombed it so badly they aren't even going to have me do the 3 hr test. I have a new glucomoter and I see the Diabetes Dr next week but in the meantime can anyone give me some advice on how they have been sucessful at keeping their sugar levels normal? I have read several different opinions from legitimate sources but all I know is I am HUNGRY!! lol Also, my dr told me yesterday that I am swelling and she may very well take me out of work in the next week or two. I am only 28+ 5. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• I had the same situation when I was pregnant right I bombed the first test so badly they sent me to the dietician immediately. They told me to eat about 5-6 times a day. My dietitian had me count carbs 30 for breakfast 45 for lunch and 60 for dinner plus 3 15 carb snacks. I adapted it a little and did 30-45 carbs every time i ate. I snacked on turkey bacon and cheese alot. I have tried to keep up my carbon counting after having Sebastian and i lost a ton of weight!! Its the best I've looked in years! I would encourage you to find ways to make the diet work for you for your baby and post baby weight loss ;)
  • Well I have gd as well, it really sucks. I'm not on medication I control it by diet alone. For the first week I was starving, but now I guess my stomach shrank or the baby is making it smaller so I'm not starving ever.
    So 1 carb is 15grams and 1 protein is like 3 oz. of meat, serving of cheese, or a serving of nuts. So ithe meal plan I got follows like this:
    Breakfast 2 carbs and 2 protein
    Snack. 2 carb and 1 protein
    Lunch. 3 carb and 3 protein
    Snack. 2 carb and 2 protein
    Dinner. 3 carb and 3 protein
    Snack. 2 carb and 2 protein
    You have to eat every few hours, this above is a max, you can choose to eat less but you have to eat atleast 1 carb and 1 protein. You have to remember to check the serving size and the grams of carbs. If you wanted a regular mtn. Dew its 46grams of carbs or 3 carbs, basically you don't want to drink soda. Drink lots of water. This was what I was told from my dr.
  • If you really want something sweet coolwhip is almost a freebie...2 grams of carbs for 2 tablespoons.
  • Thank you!! I was feeling ultra frustrated today trying to eat and checking my blood sugar! I guess I need to shop for some snacks to keep at my desk so I don't wat to kill everyone cause I'm starving *grin*