heartbeat

edited January 2011 in Pregnant
I am 5 weeks and go to the Dr on my 7th week. When do you usually hear the heart beat.

Comments

• id also like to know as im 7weeks atm lol
  • You can hear it now. But just in case the doctor isn't able to find it, don't stress it. If they do an ultrasound then you will hear it...you may need to ask. Good luck and congratulations!
  • wud it b heard using an at home heartbeat monitor system? :-)
  • Mmm, if your lucky...maybe. Doesn't hurt to try and if you don't-then just keep trying till you do.
    You will place it very low..about right above your pelvic bone. Move it around very slowly in that low area and his/her heartbeat will be very fast. A lot faster than yours. That's how you will know your not picking up your heartbeat but your babies.
  • Most of the ones you use at home don't work until your in week 30+ unless you have the kind the doctors use.....
  • thanks for the help :-) i may give it a try..or wait til ive been for first scan lol
  • How early can you use a stethoscope to hear baby's heartbeat?
  • I think it varies in the states from the uk. I'm from the uk and if they are just using a fetal doppler I don't think they can hear it until 14 weeks as it's not strong enough. When I went to my first appointment they tried to but nothing as I was only 12 weeks, but the next time heard it fine. But I think in the states they can hear it sooner. So all depends where you are! :-)
  • Very true. My OB Doctor is in Nashville, Tennessee at Vanderbilt. One of the best hospitals. I was able to hear the heartbeats with both pregnancies at 5 weeks.
    So, it does depend.
  • I was able to hear it at 7 1/2 wks. 160 & strong, hopefully that means a girl!
  • I heard my babys heart beat yesterday! Based on my last period I'm eight weeks and two days but based upon the size of the baby im seven weeks and five days. My babys heart beat was 171 bpm! Does the rate indicate the sex of the baby at all TIg81?
  • @Dschu - old wives tale, faster it indicates a girl and slower it indicates a boy.
    I have come to find no truth in this but maybe someone else has.
  • @LoveMyBoys- thanks lol I have a feeling its going to be a boy although I really want a girl! Of course ill be happy either way and its too early to tell! But I hope that's true
  • My babys heartbeat has never been over 150 when at the dr. I go every two weeks and its normally around 125. I am having a girl. So I would say no truth to that wives tale. Although there are many different ones to indicate the sex and most others I have found true. Overall every baby is different.
  • I'm excited to hear the heartbeat. I'm probly gonna cry tho! Its such an awesome thing to go thru. Every time my head is over a bucket or I get cramps, I just think, its gonna be worth it!