opinions please!!

edited August 2011 in Pregnant
I'm 32 weeks pregnant, and I'm having the hardest time working. I work in retail, so I'm standing for 8 hrs a day!! They won't even let me sit for a couple min when I'm not feeling well. They actually told me "pregnancy is a lifestyle choice, not a disability." I'm really not a lazy person, but I'm ready to throw in the towel. My back, feet, and ribs are killing me. I feel so light headed all the time due to my low blood pressure. Is it wrong or too early for me to stop working? I feel so judged by family and friends who apparently worked up until the day they gave birth! :-/

Comments

• If you can afford to stop working, stop working. How you feel is far more important than what others think. Question...if you stop now can you go back after baby or would you be quitting?
  • No its not. And they need to let yousit down! Cause your stressing your body out! I didnt work my whole pregnancy. Cause my feet got swollen before I was pregnant.
  • today was actually my last day of work but I am 37 + 4 .... I worked until about 2wks with my first too. what I did was made sure I have enough money for next months rent and let everything else fall into God's hand!! If u can afford to stop working STOP!! Who cares what others thing!!
  • I could go back, I have to take a personal leave of absence because they cut my hours to a half hour below full time...so I don't get maternity leave or pay anyways....and, we could get by financially things would just be a little tighter.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't qualify for that stuff either but u can get unemployment for medical reasons :-) I was happy when I found that out
  • I applaud everyone that CAN make it further!! I just feel like I'm over doing it, I'm gonna fall apart! I need an office job or something, lol. That might make things easier :)
  • @blessed1508 really?? I didn't know that! How do you go about doing that? Through your employer?
  • I was a dept manager in a retail store last time and besides some hip pain, it didn't bother me. But this time, I barely work 6 hours and I think I'm going to die. Its so funny how every pregnancy is different. If you can afford it, will they let you work half shifts or reduced hours? Or just go ahead and leave.
  • That's effed up for them to cut your hours like that I would quit and file a complaint cause that isn't right to not let u take breaks and for u to be feeling light headed to
  • I was a manager at Charlotte Russe for 6 years. Working those 8-9 hours running around in heels the whole time is no joke! Anytime one of our girls got pregnant we for sure let them take 5 min breaks here and there. It was that way throughout the district even though company policy was different. I would not feel guilty if you left your job. Retail is very demanding!! Whoever told you that pregnancy is a lifestyle choice is an idiot.
  • yeah I just found out. let your job know since u don't qualify for fmla or short term ability u will be filing for unemployment and make sure when unemployment contacts them they will say the same thing and not some bs that u just quit to quit. look on your states unemployment website and tells u can get it for medical reasons. I used up my vacation at work for the rest of this wk so I will be applying on monday for mine
  • @Laura536 they will let me cut my hours, but it won't be in effect for another 4 weeks! I don't know if I can make it lol. They schedule me 6, to 7 days straight a lot with the way the weeks fall. They really don't have any empathy for their employees.
    @vayanna I would, but I'm afraid of not finding anything else when it comes time to work again :(
    @MrsForesee sounds like a better company/co-workers! When they said the whole lifestyle choice, I didn't know if I wanted to cry or slap them! Lol. Definitely stupid!
    @blessed1508 ill have to talk to them! I'm a little scared of them getting annoyed and firing me tho!! I missed one day with a doctors note, and they told me it was unexcused. They are jerks! But, I still want to try!
  • @Laura536 they will let me cut my hours, but it won't be in effect for another 4 weeks! I don't know if I can make it lol. They schedule me 6, to 7 days straight a lot with the way the weeks fall. They really don't have any empathy for their employees.
    @vayanna I would, but I'm afraid of not finding anything else when it comes time to work again :(
    @MrsForesee sounds like a better company/co-workers! When they said the whole lifestyle choice, I didn't know if I wanted to cry or slap them! Lol. Definitely stupid!
    @blessed1508 ill have to talk to them! I'm a little scared of them getting annoyed and firing me tho!! I missed one day with a doctors note, and they told me it was unexcused. They are jerks! But, I still want to try!
  • Oh that sucks! I was able to change my availability to be off on tues and sun so she couldn't schedule me 7 days in a row anymore.
  • Opps, stupid phone!!
    @mama0811 I would feel better if the doc said to...I wouldn't feel as judged having someone agree! Lol, or tell me not too! My apt is on Friday, so ill see..
  • if they fire u make sure u still file for unemployment. make u put for unemployment u were fired and the reason why. don't lie they will deny it. your management people sound like umm really rude people. I had better words to use but decided to be nice lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was having a hard time at work and was in pain before the end of the day. I explained it to my Dr and she took me off work. All I did with with my employer was give then the drs note. Then I went online to my states disability website and printed out papers for my Dr to fill out and I sent it in and 2 weeks later I'm getting checks in the mail. I know it's different in every state but that's all I had to do. My Dr took me out of work at 4 1/2 months so i definitely needed the money.
  • Soooo I went to the doctors, and they wouldn't sign my papers for my leave of absence. They said it had to be a medical emergency. I dont know what else to do :-/ since when are doctors like that. I just need a break Ughhhhhhhh!!
  • I can't stand on my feet at more than 10 min at a time. Like.someone said before if u can afford it,go right ahead and take the time off. I didn't work this whole pregnancy
  • @valentinasmommy I would but without the doctors signature for my leave, they won't hold my job :(