DHEC home visit?? Anyone else?

I had my baby a week ago and just got a letter in the mail saying my home visit will be next Wednesday sometime. Has anyone else had one of these? I have a really nice home with my parents so am not nervous but also did not know this would happen. How can they just come to your home out of the blue and what right do they have to come anyway? She's my baby and I don't know what the point is but had our house not been tip top, what do they think they'll do? Lol sorry - just a first time mom venting. :-)

Comments

• What is DHEC
  • I had home nurses come to my home a few days after my son was born...but that was only because it was December and bug weighed 5lbs and the Dr didn't want him out in the cold
  • I just did a quick google search, since I had never heard of this either, and came up with this:

http://www.scdhec.gov/health/mch/wcs/ch/nbhv.htm
  • If its what @sweet1 Googled, its nothing to worry about, it's actually a helpful thing :) lots of hospitals offer it now.
    :)
  • They just come, take babys measurements answer questions you might have. The only annoyance for my is my babe list 9% of her weight and the usual is 5-7% so I had to go reweigh her later in the week. But other than that, not an issue.
  • Thanks guys!!! I was scared theyd come with the intention of bad things.. Whew! Lol nobody will mess with my baby :-D
  • Just a question because I never heard of this either...do u have a right to say no u may not come to my house?
  • Also is this like in conjunction with a government program such as wic or just offered by hospital?
  • I hope that you have a right to say no...
    I dont like the thought of having a complete stranger coming into my home and buggering me about things that I feel are between a dr and me. Like shots, and what not.
    but im a private person so to some this is a nice convinient thing where as for me the thought stresses me out. Especially since I already have help lined up after with professionals who I have built a relationshio with during my pregnancy and will be doing home visits.
  • @urmomwaswright I would think you can just tell them no thanks not interested. Its usually set up thru the hospital so there wouldn't be any repercussions for declining.
  • @littlefae that is how I feel too.
    I have nothing to hide...but I'm private and do not want anyone in my house. Judging n bugging me. That is why I wondered if it was like a government type ass thing or what. I can understand if someone is getting assistance or something and needs to be like checked out . But for those who r not getting help u should not have to prove anything ...u know what I'm trying to say?
  • @urmomwasright - I totally get it, I have nothing to hide either my home is clean well kept and my baby has more then it needs lol. I'm not on any assistance (not bashing those who are when you need help its great that its out there) and I have people already lined up to help me if and when I need it. I already have a home visit from my doula who is trained and certified and would just tell me the same thing this complete stranger would be telling me. ... lol
    But for some people this is a big need/welcome and they appreciate it. For me its just an intrusion and I don't want to be thinking about some stranger coming into my home for a period of time when I won't even have "friends" staying longer then 15 minutes unless they help with some laundry or dishes type thing.
    and as mentioned I already have the people I need to help me.
  • @Mrs_shu Yes I would def decline
    I would have to also wonder y they "really" want to come. Unless baby had a real health issue or something.

@littlefae yea it would totally make me crazy..lol...but just like u i have my own people i can rely on and are welcome all others No way! especially someone who doesnt know me from anywhere...No thank you not welcome at all not appreciated. Just added stress for me....
    But then i can see again baby with health concerns or a 1st time mom that may really want help....I'm on my 4th so just like riding a bike LOL ...

Totally off subject but I'll never forget with my last in the nicu the dr asked who had my other 2 kids ...I said their grandparents ...they looked at me in shock as if me and my hubby didnt have custody of our kids LOL it pissed me off so much....its like okay moron dr let me explain this for you Um i just had a emergency c-section am stuck in hosp for 5 days then have to come to nicu everyday and can not bring children and hubby works....i have custdy of my children you moron but i cant be in 50 places at once....what freaking idiots ..i mean what kind of question is that even...i felt very very judged by that...esp given the situation think they would have more sense...oh and she was writing down in my chart i guess my response...like who the f@#k r u??
  • @urmomwasright - wow... lack common sense much?! Where are the kids supposed to be? Sitting in the car waiting for you? Left at home unattended? I mean seriously the majority of the time grandparents step up to the plate and help out!
  • @urmomwaswright understandable. But I'm 99& sure its just a "service" set up thru whatever hospital you deliver at..and I believe they ask before discharge if you would mind someone coming to the house. Its probably geared towards first time moms but offered to everyone. I'm guessing its a way for new jobs/volunteers to stay in some capacity 'working'.
  • If it's what I think it is its a nice program designed to help hound women. Thy chek the growth n milestones and answer ur questions and make sure ur ok. Ill probably have a similar program here because of th docs concerns over my little phillip.
  • Isnt it a nurse that's visiting?! I mean really its a nice service and u should take full advantage of it. Thy will give u tips n trick and could possibly catch a health concern before even ur family doctor does. I think its a nice thing and try are not judging u or looking to take ur baby. It a program made to help u and baby. I think they need more things like this! Look at all the young moms having freak outs n killing there babies. With programs like this the service can possibly see warming signs of ppd another things. Id see if they have other services to offer in order to help. Like dipers n clothes anstuff. Helps out there u just have to look n not take no for an answer
  • 11yrs ago o had a nurse check on my a few days after we came home. Wasn't married to dad at the time...we are now. But nurse came checked my episiotomy incision, checked baby & left. No big thing.
  • I had a nurse visit with my first 2 but with my daughter I declined and will decline again this time since I don't feel I need it. But helped when I was a new mom.