breastfeeding...

edited August 2011 in Pregnant
Ook I plan on breastfeeding but no absolutely NOTHING about it! Can someone give me some info? I know there are classes but I cannot afford them! Like some of my questions are...can you reheat stored breast milk, what is the shelf life of breast milk, if you breastfeed do you HAVE to pump? Please help me, I know I sound dumb but im a ftm!

Comments

• I think someone at the hospital will help you when you have the baby.
  • Also, Google "breastmilk storage"
  • No you can't reheat breast milk, store 24-48 hours in the fridge, store 30 days in freezer in freezer bags or plastic bottles. Never use microwave to warm milk, get a bowl of hot water and set the bottle of milk in the bowl for a couple minutes. Whatever baby dont drink from bottle, discard.
  • I breastfeed both my boys and its been so long I need to look it up myself. I know you can freeze milk for 6 months yes you can reheat it and no you don't have to pump. Only if you want some for someone else to feed the baby. And as said above they will tell you what you need to know in the hospital.
  • Just got my breastfeeding video yesterday. After its been heated, you can't reheat again. Only 6 months if you have a deep freezer for storing milk. That's off the video I just watched last night not from personal experience.
  • You asked about storing milk, yes you need a pump if you plan on storing milk.
  • Ok. Thanks ladies! I know someone at the hospital will help me, I. Was just curious as to what supplies if any, I needed to get in the next few weeks! Thanks:)
  • Its says on CDC website u can't reheat twice.