exclusive pumping?

edited August 2011 in Breastfeeding
Any mommys out there that exclusively pumps, planning on it, or have in the past? I did with my twins, they were in the NICU and I could never get them to latch on afterwards. I pumped until I ran out of milk at about 6 months. This time I planned on exclusively nursing for the first month, then pumping and nursing so my husband wouldn't miss out on feeding time. But she would get so hungry she'd end up sucking air trying to latch on, then she'd get frustrated when she didn't get anything fast enough, then repeat. She had lots of gas and was fussy so I oumoes and fed her with a bottle a few times. Today, I nursed her twice successfully, although it took an hour to get her through it. The third time after an hour she was still hungry and has yet to empty my breast so I finished by pumping. Problem is, it seems like my production is already decreasing even though my baby is only 4 days old and I just got my milk in late last night. Any advice is appreciated, if there's a way to calm her to nurse or to exclusively pump without losing my milk, anything!

Comments

• There's a page I you google exclusive pumping will pop out they have really good information I'll pass you the link when I get in the computer
  • Mine (6 days old) take forever to feed. When she wakes up, she has to wake up.. either stretching, having a dirty diaper, or just not ready. After a few, I try her on my boob, if she gets frustrated (usually on my right side) I bring her upright to my chest and talk to her, I say calm down, its ok.. I just make sure * I * don't get frustrated, cause babies can sense it. Then I try again. If I try the same thing 3-4 times on one side, I switch to her fav side. She'll eat 5-10 min, I burp her and she relaxes a while.. then I feed her on the other side for 5-10 min. And depending on how long she was on either side, I'll feed again to ensure she is done. Then after burping, she goes to sleep on her own, making mommy feel satisfied.

Just have patience, that's all it takes <3

As for pumping, sowwy, I don't know. Lol. I want to do exclusive boob for 2 mo, then pump so I can work, but switching to formula at that time is a little undecided option in my head.
  • Ih, and skin to skin is amazing for the baby. I don't really keep clothes on mine unless we are out of the house.
  • @caroline8_p thank you! I always undress her before her feedings during her diaper change, skin to skin contact is good got both of us, breast or bottle, I think.
    I can never get her to eat for 5-10 mins straight. It's always a series of latching, sucking, letting go, repeat. For her to have enough time at breast to get full it takes just over an hour. She has a favorite side too!
    Again thanks for the advice, it's very much appreciated! :)
  • Grr, mine does the latch, suck, let go too.. and sometimes its just the nipple, not everything. Definitely frustrating.

You're welcome :)