this might be a stupid question but is it okay to eat beef jerkey?

edited February 2011 in Pregnant
I've seriously downed a whole bad because I want meat so badly! Is it okay to eat? Ughhh I hope so lol

Comments

• Its not good to eat beef jerky because its not cooked meat its just dehydrated meat which is not safe for baby.
  • Wellll crap! What should I do?
  • Just stop eating it. How much have you had?
  • Its totally ok to eat. Drink lots of water so cause of the sodium. Dont worry about it. Yummy
  • Like half of the bag! :( I guess ill just not eat any more! I just crave meat so badly! Lol I can't help but eat it.
  • @Mommyof3girls ahhh good! Thank you<3. Did you crave it too? Because it seems like now a days all I can chew on is steak lol
  • while yall r on this subject whats the deal with shellfish? and lunchmeat? i hadnt thought bout jerky....hhhmmmm.

can i eat these other things? im from the coast so shrimp is something we eat a lot of!
  • I at it all the time with my last pregnancy. I asked dr and he said it was ok but to just drink a lot of water. :) mmm... makes me want some right now and im not even pregnant (ttc). Congrats on being prego.
  • I would ask your doctor to be safe. I asked all 3 of my baby doctors and they told me no. Im not sure if its cause im considered high risk or what they just said it wasn't safe. So talk to your doctor before eating anymore. That's what I would do if I were you.
  • Im craving meat too sent the hubby to get a hamburger just now
  • @mommyof3girls thank youuuu! And good luck to youuu<3
    @vanalkr I know the lunchmeat and sea food carry bacteria if its not cooked they say you can eat the lunch meat as long as you heat it! Hope that helped :)
  • @baby4ontheway I'm confused at how you can say it is uncooked meat. If it wasn't cooked then how could we eat it pregnant or not without risk of disease. It is possible since you are high risk to avoid the sodium overload you would get. I was restriced from eating pork and anything else that was overly salty when I was high risk with my son.

When I was at wic and my doctors a couple weeks ago after I had this terriki beef jerky craving they told me as long as I keep in moderation and drink plenty of water I should be ok. And yeah I have been craving steak and hamburgers for awhile :)
  • I heard you just need to watch the amount salt..drink lots of water to balance all the salt so you don't get dehydrated...can also cause swelling to get worse so that may be why some docs say no if you are already having problems..if nothing else ask YOUR doctor since I see alot of people saying different things on different questions cuz not all docs agree apparently lol :-)
  • @kalikojenie its not cooked. The way they make it is by sucking all the water and juices out of it. I don't get why they say its safe but im not even gonna attempt to eat something that's not cooked. Good luck to you.
  • @baby4ontheway well I did not know that was how they made jerky. I went and looked it up and well I'm not wanting to eat it for a long while now. Lol. Thanks for teaching me something new :)
  • Asking the doc is always best. My midwives said to call any time with any question. I love them already.