Smoking while pregnant.

edited September 2011 in Pregnant
Please don't be judgemental. I found out i'm pregnant 2 days ago, I'm a smoker, I've cut down alot (went from smoking bout 15 a day to bout 5) I'm finding it so hard to completely stop. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to help completely stop?

Comments

• I don't smoke but my sis does n she quit cold Turkey for her baby.. yeah when she's stressed she craves but she hasn't had one since being pregnant. She reminds herself that her babies health.is more important than a smoke.
    She's a strong woman.
    Good luck n.I hope you can quit for your little one %&- %%-
    Best wishes.
  • The first three days were the hardest but at 27 weeks went cold Turkey and now my baby is two months old you can do it
  • Eat a lollipop instead of reaching for a cigg.
  • Try substituting gum and chewing on pens as well when you want a smoke or want to buy one take the money you would spend in cigarettes and put it in a baby jar and then the end of each month but something for you or for baby.
  • Wean down because stress is worse I have a sil that quit and kept losing baby finally her Dr told he keep smoking and she actually carried him full term he does have a lot of health problems I'm not sure if from the smoking so I do recommend to stop but don't let yourself stress to much u hurt the baby
  • Wean down because stress is worse I have a sil that quit and kept losing baby finally her Dr told he keep smoking and she actually carried him full term he does have a lot of health problems I'm not sure if from the smoking so I do recommend to stop but don't let yourself stress to much u hurt the baby
  • I stopped cold turkey. I do not believe 'stress' from not smoking is worse....LOL. u can do it!!! You will never have a better reason for quitting than right now!!! What really helped me is when I wanted one I would just picture my little baby being surrounded by smoke or having a lack of oxygen...which it does. I would feel so guilty I wouldn't smoke! And I was a regular smoker for ten years!! You can do it!!!
  • I stopped cold turkey the day I find out. It was no fun quitting drinking and smoking but it's so worth it. I stopped hanging out at the usual places and took a break from my smoking buddies until it got easier. Anything that reminded me of smoking got put on hold. Hopefully, i'll be able to never smoke again.
  • Jolly ranchers
  • My friend quit cold Turkey. Its hard that way tho. Just taper off and try.keeping ur mouth busy with other things :)
  • You know what? I leave in the south, alabama to be exact. And a tin of ladies still smoke while pregnant. I've never seen a baby not come out over 7 pounds and never seen one unhealthy. I went to 3 aday. And some times I do none. But, everyone has there on way. You can try hard mint candys. Its really mind over madder, I've been a smoker for 6 or 7 years. So im proud of myself for being able to do what I did. Its hard and a big commitment. And if you have the will power (unlike me) then you go girl!
    And I can be judged if I want too. Things are different down here, then in the uk or newyork. :)
  • I dont smoke but my sister did the same thing as @jay_brad
  • @nicolek87 its not the stress from not smoking its the stress your body goes through quitting cold turkey howevrr it really only applies to being further along in the pregnancy and heavy smokers(pack or more a day). Its easier all around quitting cold Turkey when you first find out though.

@mumma_to_be you can do it! If you have a cigarette at certain times start substituting something else. Lollipop after dinner, go for a walk. Drink a cold glass of water. Breathing in and out slowly for a few minutes(almost mimicking smoking), chew gum, keep ypur hands busy-a puzzle taking up knitting or something crafty. Even cooking/baking
  • I quit cold turkey the day I got my bfp. It sucked for about 2 weeks...I found that when I was really craving a cigarette that doing something to remind me WHY I was quitting helped. For example, I would go shopping or look online @ baby stuff. Good luck!
  • I quit completely the day I found out I was pregnant. You just have to think about all the risks it has on your unborn child.
  • Also if you just can't do it on your own, talk to your doctor they may be able to give you some tips, or even medicine that could help you. When I was trying to quit so many people would say your doing the best you can, and its okay if you can't. Well I was smoking more then I did to start with and my boyfriend got mad at me a yelled at me for hurting his part of the baby, I smoked one more after that and that was it
  • Figure out when it is you like to smoke. For my a big place was in the car. So I'd being sour breakers to suck on, and hold a pen like a cigarette. It really helped.
  • I havent had a smoke in 15hours :) proud of myself! hopefully i dont have anymore :)
  • I was a huge smoker! Pretty much don't stop until u are ready! It took me awhile and I pretty much just stopped. I brake from time to time and have a couple anthem stop again. Smoking and stress go side by side. Both cam cause problems. Do not just stop n be stressed. Write down reasons like I want to see my grandchildren and I want that extra money. Think it over and when u desire just stop. I've been doing good really bit if u brake try again the next day! Good luck to you!
  • i stopped cold turkey when i found out. take it a step at a time, when you get a craving for one do something else to keep your mind off of it. my fiance is a smoker & stopped smoking while he was around me to make it easier for me to stop. try to stay away from other smokers at first while your still getting the cravings. after the first few days of not smoking it gets a lot easier. & you just might find yourself feeling better once you've stopped too (:
  • @mszcastillo its kinda hard to stay away from people that smoke cause everyone in my family smokes :/
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I quit the day i found out too. I guess you are just gonna have to go cold turkey and be really strong! Luckily my morning sickness stopped me wanting them anyway or it would have been alot harder. Worth it tho. Good luck!
  • It's a sacrifice I think any mother to be should be willing to take, else I don't think they must be ready for mother hood... I think you'll do it for your baby's sake, keep strong.

Don't listen to any weaker women who state they smoked all the way through and it never harmed them, theyre either lucky or in denial that their kids health conditions are anything to do with smoking while pregnant. I know my sister in law smoked with her first and not with her second, the first was a lower birth weight, needs glasses and has asthma, the second was a chunk and has no health problems, coincidence?

Good luck, I know you can do it, it's only while you're pregnant, you've got the rest of your life to carry on smoking if you want to after xx :) xx