Breastfeeding a two year old??

2»

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Lmao :D
  • My friend did it till her daughter was 2. I found it weird that her daughter would just pull down her shirt and start sucking whenever she felt like it. She would also say boob as she did it...
  • I plan on breastfeeding until my baby is two years old. After that, she will get breast milk in a cup until she's four.
  • edited September 2011
    I think giving breast milk is fine until any age if the child will still take it wether they're 2 or 12 but i think there should be a cut off age on the boob itself. I think 2 should be the definite max on the actual boob but by then it should start coming from a cup. Cow milk for cows and human milk for humans.
  • I breastfed my first daughter till 2 1/2 and second to 18mths. I dont think it was weird or bad because they were still growing and needed it but I never did it that publicly, after 2 for my first it was.mostly a night thing and I think women who openly show their breasts publicly for breastfeeding should show a little more discretion. Even with my babies, I always covered up.
  • I honestly think that's too old :/ but whatever floats your boat :)
  • Ok... I think the pumping idea is better bc let's face it, the social stigmatism is there and whether it bothers you or not and I believe every woman has to make their own decision, I also agree that at two, children start remembering. And if they are eating bigger kid foods, most being fortified, they are doing fine nutritionally. I was never Bf, my mom was an alcoholic and TG she had enough sense to not feed us at same time. My step mom had my little sister and BFd until only 4 months bc her teeth came in so early. It is diff for EVERY woman, but my SILs BFd until much older, 2-3 years. And it was weird seeing baby and three year old fight over boobs... Or a 2.5 year old tantrum for hours because "I want your booby!!!" when she was on pain meds for bad back injury... And trying to rip open her shirt. The talking factor changes everything. I honestly Do Not Know how long I will go. I will do my best, but if able probably only go till 18months at longest. I think 4years is a little crazy TO ME. I see it in other countries do to lack of food, but here, I think bottles even at that point is pushing it. That is my opinion, please don't bash me!!!
  • Thank you ladies for the different insights. nothing wrong with expressing different opinions and views!
  • @Jellybelly1015 I definitely agree with you and feel as you do. Her daughter has those same tantrums that you mentioned and my cousin said that its very painful because of her teeth.
  • I bf my son until the day before his third birthday. My daughter I bf until 26 months. I tandem fed them for almost 16 months! Such an adventure! I always covered up and was discrete. Human milk is rich brain food. Formula doesn't have the same benefits as mommy's milk :) Cows milk is designed for building muscles. Goats milk is the closest to human milk for digestion. I only thought Id nurse for 3-6 months.... Until I did the research and knew how beneficial it is for moms and babies :)
  • I'm planning on being a baby led weaner again with this babe. My son weaned at 3m *would not even take expressed milk* so it wasnt an issue, but the plan is to bf "from the tap" for a year or so then express for the rest of the time. . . I will not put up with tempter tandrems so if that starts to be an issue I will exclusively express sooner. Bunny is my second and last child so I want to be ables to enjoy her babyhood not have everyday be a fight [-O< @-) [-O<

Well more then raising a child is already a constant fight lol
  • I personally think 2yr old is way to old.. but that's my opinion.
  • Get mad all u want but im against breastfeeding. My kids r formula fed all the way! its just gross to me...
  • if the kids is walking around and asking for it no freaking way! i would say it's ok to pump and put it in sippies or whatever. but no way to whip it out and allow ur 2 yr old to suck right there. ugh
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This girl I knew said she was breastfed until 6. And the la leche league women was like "wow, that's very good"
  • Thank God for breast pumps. Once my daughter is no longer a "baby" she will be using a cup. The benefits are from the milk not the breast.
  • On youtube this lady still breast feeds het 9 year old & her daughters are so in love with her boobs they named them & love when she dosent wear a bra.
  • I was breastfed till 22 months,it did not scar me in any way,and I definitely don't remember it. I'm proud of my mom for sticking it out that long.
  • Um, I couldn't make it past once they start getting teeth. Makes me think of that movie "grownups"
  • Lol@kristaf22 but I agree with you. Totally agree @carley