I need a break!!!

Let me start off by saying that I loooove my children more than anything in this world. I would do anything for them, they are my life!

I have a 5 year old (he will be 5 in a week...) and a 17 week old. I love these babies with all of my heart, but I have been with my kids everyday for the past 17+ weeks and I must say, I am growing extremely cranky. The last time I had a "break" from my children was when I was hospitalized because I had pneumonia, and I was away from them for 3 days. My sons father takes him on Wednesdays - Saturdaysx whic is lovely and all, but my daughters father is not a part of her life and I have nobody to watch her. I love spending time with her, but I think its a little unhealthy for someone to not get time to themselves to relax and wind down from the life of being a parent.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand that I made the choice to take the chance at parenting by having sex. I get that. I am a responsible, working, single mother and I do well for my children. BUT! I feel it is in the interest of both mother and child (or parents and child, given your situation...) To have a break from each other. Yes, I have family around me, but they refuse to watch a baby because "its just too hard". Are you f'n kidding me?!? I know sooo many grandparents who willingly take their grandkids, infants to teens, overnight all the time, and they're all older than my parents!! Both of my kids go to bed at a decent hour and sleep the entire night through, so I don't see the problem.

It is depressing. I don't have a life outside of work/being a mom. I don't get invited anywhere anymore because my response is always "I don't have a sitter, otherwise, I would". All I ask is one night a month to myself. It's not like I'm going to use that time to go party and get drunk, I just want a night to myself to go to bed when I want, sit around in my underwear and watch movies while I enjoy a glass or two of wine, and be able to sleep in past 7:30 a.m. Is that really that much to ask?!? :(( :((

Comments

• @BkE913~ I totally understand I have 4 kids 5,3,2,10 week old. I get no time to myself or go anywear. Me and my hubby both work to make sure they have the best in life. But we would LOVE dinner/ movie. I just don't see it happening. My mother in law will watch them but she leaves over 2 hours away. So it's just a big headache.
  • you do deserve a break!! Can you at least afford.to pay a sitter.for the night?
  • Your feelings are so completely normal! My daughter is 5wks old and I already needed a break. If I lived near you id be more than happy to sit!
  • @jess510 I could afford to pay a sitter, although I don't know if I'm okay with the idea of leaving my daughter with a stranger or someone I'm not completely familar with. I suppose I could bribe my mother into it with cash... It's just sad that I have to pay my daughters grandmother to babysit her, she should just WANT to have her, like all the other grandmas I know. :-s

@awaamommy that is too bad, yall need a night of romance...how you supposed to stay in love if you can't have alone time?!

@metalmommy that is too kind of you! We could return the favor... Sigh. :-<
  • I was a single mom for 4.5 years due to divorce. I had a 4yo, 1yo & newborn. It's not easy. There was a point in time where I put the kids to bed at 6pm every night so I could have some alone time. It didn't kill them & it gave me at least a little break to look forward to so I could be a better mom. Maybe you could try something like that. You could even give them special toys that they only play with in their beds at that time before they fall asleep. Just an idea...hope it helps. Hang in there. ;)
  • No don't pay your mom!!