Couple Qs

edited September 2011 in Breastfeeding
My baby is a week old now....im breast feeding her....i feed her every 2-3 hours...after 10-15 mins she falls asleep. I do both sides every feeding. Sometimes only 1 side tho....i feed her at night if she wakes up...but other then that I usually let her just slerp unless I feel really full n it starts to hurt....how do I know if shes getting enough? Dhould I do feedings at night too? Even if sges asd leeping??

Comments

• If she's sleeping and not waking for feedings then she is eating enough. she won't sleep through hunger :) i was always told don't wake a sleeping baby, but I wouldn't let her go too many hours between feedings. But you said your hurting so you might want to either wake her or let her sleep and pump to stock up on milk :)
  • edited September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was told to not wake at night but I was also told to make sure they eat every couple hours. :/
  • I was told to not let my son not go more than three hours because it keeps your supply up and when they go through growth spurts you will have enough because it changes so much how they feed.
  • When I was in the hospital I asked the lactation consultant the same thing. She said during the day wake my baby up every 2 hours to eat but at night if she goes longer to just let her. She was going longer when she was first born. Shes 2 weeks old today & eats every 2 hours, even through the night. I cant wait for her to sleep longer again!
  • In my child class they said to count wet diapers and as long as they have a least 5-6 in a day after your milk is in and 3-4the stools per day
  • I'm sure your baby is fine, but be sure she isn't lethargic. If a baby isn't getting enuf he/she may be sleeping )because they don't have the energy to stay awake.
  • Thank u ladies. I really appreciate it. I feel alot better.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Shes only real pooped once after hospital....should I bring it up next dr appt? I have one on the 7th
  • It wont hurt to ask. Many drs have different beliefs but its best to go with makes since the most. Better safe then sorry