help please!

edited September 2011 in Breastfeeding
my baby was born aug 29 th. she was 6 lbs 12 oz. today i went to have her weighed because i was concerned she wasnt eating enough and she weighed 6 lbs 1 oz. i have been breastfeeding only since she was born. i have had some problems because this is my first child i have breastfed.i have an extremely hard time getting her to wake up enough to eat .now today i have tried for the past 2 straight hours to feed her. she will wake up enough for me to get her to latch on then she sucks a few times and goes back to sleep. i have tried washcloths on her face,undressing her,tickiling her and anything i can think of. she has not eat in well ove 4 hours and its scaring me to death..anybody know what i can or should do?

Comments

• I was having the same problem. My best advice would be to pump and give her by bottle. Maybe she's having problems latching on. You should call a lactation consultant at ur hospital.
  • @itsfinallyhappening ok,thank you. i tried calling the lactation consultant but she was already gone for the day.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Your welcome. My little girl is on the bottle mostly now. She was born at 36/2 on Aug 27. The little piece under her tongue (don't remember wat its called) wouldn't let her stick her tongue out all the way to get a good suck going. The Dr snipped it and she automatically got a better suction. Maybe you should ask her Dr about it. Also try changing her diaper before u feed to wake her up.
  • @itsfinallyhappening congrats on your baby :) i will ask about that. i did try the changing her diaper,she waskes up for that minute or two then when i put her on my breast to eat she still goes to sleep. any everyone keeps telling me i am supposed to feed her every 2 hours and its been like 6 hours and its kinda worrying me. i also just called the womens center where she was born,they are supposed to have someone call me back soon.
  • My doc said its okay if baby doesn't eat a lot when you wake her n to let her sleep. She will eat when she's hungry. I did continue to try feeding her every 3 hours because a little is better then none! She will start to be awake more and eat more, she's still a newbie and they sleep a lot alot
  • ok thank you.that makes me feel a little better to know. because the health department is who was telling me she needs to eat every 2 hours. they acted like waiting 4 hours was too long
  • Yea that's what I was told at the hospital to and I told them to screw off ha. Use your motherly instinct on stuff like this. Your mommy and you know what's best. If you think waking her up every two hours and trying to feed her is right, do it. If you think letting her sleep for 4 hours and having her eat when she's ready, do it. I'm a ftm mom and called my doc about everything I was worried about and my doc n I are close and she finally told me to stop calling her and b the mom she knows I can be, she's my daughter so do what I thinks right!
  • lol,sounds like a good dr. thank you so much for your help. i dont feel so bad now. :)
  • Did you take her to the dr to have her weighed? Also, are you able to pump/express milk? I would take her to dr if you didn't go there to have her weighrd. They will usually do weight appts w/this a Med Assistant pretty easily. Try not to stress too much, and just let her nurse often. :)
  • she was having wet diapers up until last night. she has had 2 wet and one poop diaper today. i took her to the health dept because her dr was closed today. they said she weighs 6 lbs 1 oz right now. she was 6 lbs 12 oz at birth and 6 lbs 3 oz the day we left the hospital which she was 2 days old then. i dont have a pump but i did try hand expressing some out about an hour ago. @ashleyfew @cicelia