Everything C-section??!!

edited September 2011 in Giving birth
Help me, on Monday I am getting my section and wanna know EVERYTHING!!!!
thanks guys(:

Comments

• You either get an epidural or a spinal block. You will also have an iv in your arm to keep you hydrated and just incase something happens they have it already in your arm. The whole process was pretty quick. I dont remember much at all because I thought I was feeling pain but it was just pressure so they knocked me out for a but. Idk when you will be able to start walking again.i had pre e so I couldnt walk for 2 days after. When you do walk make sure you walk a bit but dont over do it. Dont want to hurt your incision in any way. Folliw your drs care for the incision. If you have any questions dont hesitate to call your dr! Good luck mama :)
  • Scheduled c-sections are pretty smooth and quick. You will feel pressure as they remove baby, but shouldn't feel any pain. As long as baby is healthy, your spouse or support person should be able to hold baby close to you while they're stitching you up. You may go to a recovery room, but should be able to have baby with you with you holding and nursing. I was able to be up walking within a few hours each time...but I don't use the pain medicines...so I think that helped. But if you need the meds, take them and don't be ashamed. Try to move around as soon as possible, but don't over do it. A spare pillow will be your best friend...hold it over your incision anytime you are going to cough, sneeze, or laugh. Don't hesitate to ask doctor or nurses any questions. My staples were always removed before I left the hospital except with my third section, when they used steri-strip bandages instead of staples. The removal of staples wasn't really painful...kind of a light pinching sensation that actually felt good to have removed. You wont be able to drive for a few weeks...try to follow this even if you're feeling good. One hard hit of the brakes and you will have severe pain. I hope this helped...I am scheduled for my fourth c-section 10/31, so if you have any questions...feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my knowledge. Good luck and can't wait for an update!
  • Get the spinal! I got the epidural and it stopped working! Have someone tape right after so you have a tape of the baby being washed and weighed and such. My mother in law tapped it all and I appreciate it so much. Make sure you get up as soon as you can, you'll recover faster. When they offer pain meds it will be offered as iv or pills, choose the pills cause they are more effective for pain and you get off the iv faster cause you won't need it. Plus you will be more alert then with the iv drugs. Keep up with the pain meds and you can recover faster. Bring a boppy!! Can't stress that enough Lol when you cough, sneeze, or laugh your incision will hurt like crazy and you can hold the boppy against it while you cough, sneeze, laugh and that helps. The boppy also is the greatest thing for babies ever! Helps so much feeding and holding baby while your sore. You will be sore after so make sure you take it slow, its easiest to slide yourself to the edge of the bed and ease your way to sitting up. My bed had some bar I could use that hung over the bed to help me get up, maybe ask for a bed like that? It really helped. I promise your incision will NOT hurt when you shower, I swore that it would hurt but it didn't. Bring extra pillows, its just nice Lol i just wrote this using my cell so ignore my dumb grammar and mess ups :)
  • Good luck!! :)
  • Good advice above. I am having my 3rd c-section sometime in the next 5 weeks. First was an emergency and I really dont remember much of it, the second was sort of scheduled. I went into labor early so they had to go in but it wasn't as much as an emergency with that one. I think the worst part of it is the pressure you feel when they are getting the baby out. I literally felt like someone heavy was sitting on me and it was hard to breathe. Stay on top of the pain medication. Like take it before you start to really hurt. Pain meds work better that way. They will tell you that you need to get up and start walking probably within 12 hours or so. It is hard at first, but it will definitely help move things along quicker. If the doctor doesn't give you a stool softener with your pain meds perscription before you leave the hospital, I would definitely recommend getting some at the store. The major abdominal surgery and the pain meds will make it hard to go. Don't lift anything heavier than the baby after, you don't want to hurt yourself, pull your staples etc. Let your friends/family/significant other help you as much as possible because you need to focus on healing and bonding with your newborn. Good luck!
  • Really good advice @juliek77 :)
  • I would ask for a stool softener and a gas medicine shortly after delivery or at least the next am. Both were problems for me all 3 times and I know for many other mama's who had c-sections.
  • @maymommy11 awh, thanks (:
    @mommyo3soon2b4 haha, that sounds funny! Yes, my mom's told me about the pillow over the stomach to help! And you didn't take ANY medicines?!? Whoa! And yeahh, i've been on bed rest for the past 10weeks so I have been taking a stool softener anyway lol.
    @AKmommy I was so worried about the shower!! But thanks for the advice, my mom will for sure be taping it!!
    @juliek77 awh, thankss!

thanks for the great advice everyone(: It really helped my nerves!
  • I used ibuprofen...my two girls ere in nicu and I had to be able to focus on their treatment and walk to the nicu a million times a day. Tylenol makes me sleepy so I was scared of getting too loopy and not being able to be there for them. And then I found that I was fine without it. I'm hoping to be able to do to do the same this time but I'm 7 years older than my last pregnancy.
  • I got REALLLY swollen from the waist down. Bring bigger clothes. I wore pjs out of the hospital & my bf chanclas cause none of my shoes fit. Ask for all the help you can from the nurses! It was really hard for me to get her in and out of thr bassinet by myself, so I just left her in the bed with me (take precautions!). I wasn't allowed anybody to spend the night, which made things harder! Yrs, those percosets are life savers! I always took the next one 30 min before. I'm out, so now I take advil. When you poop the first time (& for the next 2wks) try not to pish. Just open you cheeks up and let the pressure make it come out. Nasty I know. The disposable panties are awesome as well! Take them all! Lol
  • @caroline8_p haha, that was AMAZING advice lol... I'll be thinking of your comment when i'm on the toliet now (; yeah, my feet are already swollen stupid so all I am bringing is pj's and huge sweat pants and baggy tee shirts! Thanks mama(:
    @mommyo3soon2b4 awh, I started labor at 27weeks and had a placental abruption, so I've been in the hospital but now I am 36w3d and so excited for her to be here and healthy. I pray she won't have to be in the NICU since back in July they thought she would have to be in the NICU for months... But congrats on your girls(: Dang, it's always the girls who give us the most trouble lol!!