Philips AVENT Bottle users, IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ!

edited September 2011 in Health
Since I have just gone through this problem myself, I thought I should share some information with other mothers to help keep their children safe and healthy.

This is a topic involving information about BPA in old AVENT bottles:

My MIL decided she would do us something nice and go and buy us some Philips AVENT bottles offline. She knew that we really like AVENT bottles and how they're BPA-Free. But what she didn't know was that the bottles she had purchased were old stock. They were new, yes, but they were made in 2008 or older and are NOT BPA-free. I had called AVENT out of curiousity because I thought all AVENT products were BPA-Free but neither of the boxes said that anywhere. I talked to a representative and she had asked me what they looked like. I had explained to her that they are of a completely clear/shinny plastic. She had also asked if they used an "adapter ring". I said no. She had immediately replied with, "Yes, those do contain BPA". She also told me to not even use them, I'm better off throwing them away. They're not a recalled item but just like the drop down cribs, they are outlawed and illegal to sell due to the hazardous chemicals.

There was a class action lawsuit against Philips AVENT baby products for this reason. Any bottles, sippy cups and some breast pumps that were made in 2008 or older ARE NOT BPA-FREE. Here is a posting from their legal website:

"A settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit involving certain Avent and Philips Avent branded plastic baby bottles and sippy cups that were sold in the United States. The lawsuit claims that Philips Electronics North America Corporation (“Philips”) and other companies (“Defendants”) violated the law by making, marketing and selling plastic baby bottles and sippy cups without adequately disclosing to consumers that the bottles and cups contained the chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA) and without disclosing the potential health risks associated with BPA exposure."

The lawsuit has been closed and they are no longer giving refunds.

If you own AVENT bottles and you are unaware if they contain BPA or not, just remember - BPA-Free Avent bottles now use an "adapter ring". You can also tell by the color of the plastic. BPA-Free plastic is of a milky color(comparable to a milk carton but still see through). The plastic is known as #5 PP (Polypropylene).

So please Moms, if you are using these bottles currently or have them in your collection to use for your baby to be, DON'T, if you care about your childs health! You're poisoning them and significantly increasing their chance of getting cancer.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Comments

• Wow I never knew that!! Thankyou!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ashleyfew

It is a compound that is synthesized by the condensation of acetone. BPA is an endocrine disruptor, which can mimic the body's own hormones and may lead to negative health effects. Early development appears to be the period of greatest sensitivity to its effects, and some studies have linked prenatal exposure to later neurological difficulties. Regulatory bodies have determined safety levels for humans, but those safety levels are currently being questioned or under review as a result of new scientific studies. A 2011 study that investigated the number of chemicals to which pregnant women in the U.S. are exposed found BPA in 96% of women.

Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that interfere with endocrine (or hormone system) in animals, including humans. These disruptions can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders. Specifically, they are known to cause learning disabilities, severe attention deficit disorder, cognitive and brain development problems, deformations of the body (including limbs); sexual development problems, feminizing of males or masculine effects on females, etc. Any system in the body controlled by hormones, can be derailed by hormone disruptors. The critical period of development for most organisms is between the transition from a fertilized egg, into a fully formed infant. As the cells begin to grow and differentiate, there are critical balances of hormones and protein changes that must occur. Therefore, a dose of disrupting chemicals can do substantial damage to a developing fetus (baby). Whereas, the same dose may not significantly affect adult mothers.
  • Wait, are the ones that are in stores now safe??
  • @Lindseynicole96 Yes, AVENT bottles that you currently can buy in stores now are safe. They are marked as BPA-Free.

They are made in Europe. Europe has banned companies from using BPA in baby products. :]
  • Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure what bpa was but I thought buying boa free products would be smart.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Omg I had 2 of those kind that I used on my 15 month old now I'm very worried:(
  • Oh good!!! Thanks for the information(::
  • Thanks for the info i bought some for my baby aswell and its all good they are 0%BPA :)
  • 5,4,1 or 2 all the rest are bad for u. Just a little rhyme to remember which plastics are ok