Blanchfield Army Community Hospital

edited September 2011 in Pregnant
Has anyone had a baby at Blanchfield? I just finished doing an online search & the reviews weren't good at all. Do any of you have any personal experience with them? I am 37weeks+5days & I'm getting a little nervous.

Comments

• No but here is a bump
  • Nope, but I'm being induced there tomorrow so I will let you know what happens. I really scared because I've always heard that military hospital were not a good place to have a baby. This better be a good experience because they will hear about it if it not.
  • Most online reviews are placed by pissed off people so I wouldn't read too much into those...there are plenty of crappy civilian hospitals too...have you taken a tour or any classes there that go over their procedures? For uncomplicated pregnancies I am sure they are fine...you usually get shipped elsewhere if you have issues...I am sure it will be fine!!!!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ArmyMommy Ok, so I really wanted this to be a good post for you but that is not the case. I went in to be inducted on the 6th at 7:00 and I met my nurse Mary (she was the greatest). I was told that a Dr Fuji would be my doctor for the day; never saw him but I did see midwife but never got her name. I took in a birthing plan because I wanted my birth to be the way I wanted it. Mary went through it with me and we had an understanding of what would be happening. After 7 hours of pitocin I was stuck at 5cm and Mary came and asked me if the midwife had told me she wanted to put internal monitor in me because I was not moving (one of the things I did not want). The midwife came in asked after she told the nurse that she already had. Needless to say it did not happen. After my water being broken I gave birth an hour later at 4:10. I torn which suck because I did not use any medications. At this time I meet my Dr, who was not Dr Fuji it was a Dr Hoover, who let the midwife do everything. When they want to sew me up, they put a numbing medication down there that did not work and I felt every needle stick . I felt like they were sewing up a hole in a shirt and I told them it hurt and they were like its only 3 more to go. Are you f*^king kidding me? I wanted to do the kangaroo care but the sewing they were doing had me shaking so bad my husband took of his shirt to do it. :X The bassinet they had in my room had nothing in it ( they forgot to fill it with diapers and milk so we had to wait until we got to mother/baby because the new nurse on duty kept forgetting. After about 3 hrs they took us to mother and baby ward. We had to share a room, (no problem) but our side of the room had no tv but theirs did. Also most of the buttons on the bed did not work. The next morning I was informed that I had to attend a discharge class that day (WHAT? just like the army to make a woman go to a class right after giving birth). On Thursday when it was time to go it seemed like they were rushing us out but we were waiting for the picture lady to come in to take our son's picture and she decided to smoke before she got there. REALLY!!!! I took a picture with him sleep because I did not want her to touch him. Ok, so we went home, the next day (Friday) I get a phone call at about 3:20 in the afternoon, its the hospital saying that they miss blood typed my son who is O pos but they had him as O neg and I need to come back to the hospital to get my rhogam shot because I'm O neg. REALLY!!!! This is life and death for me and you people decide that at 3:20 on a friday that its important. So I have to go back to hospital 4:00 and of course everyone is getting off of work. I waited for 3 hours so they could do blood work and get the shot. Last but not less, today I get a bill in the mail for my son. REALLY!!!! I pray that your experience it 100% better then mine. But I did get a beautiful baby boy out of it.
  • @NatalynandTJsMOM, OMG! I am officially terrified! I have read the most awful reviews about that place! I am 4cm dialated & my blood pressure is high. I went in today & was sent home.
  • edited September 2011
    I didn't deliver there, but I did at Winn Army community Hospital, ft. stewart ga. And I heard the horror stories too and was scared! But I had an amazing experience delivering at an Army hospital!! All my nurses, doctors, and midwifes were amazing and nice!!! They made sure I was comfortable and not scared. They supported me when I wanted to get outta bed to help labor, when I wanted pain meds, etc. When I asked for something they went and got it and came right back. They even let me have my epidural early because I was in so much pain. The mommy and baby nurses were also great! Even my husband was surprised on the great experience we had. Every time they took her out to give shot or do the hearing test, they stocked up her cart with more of everything. We did have to take a baby shaken class but it was only 10 minutes and a lot of hospitals do that. We got to take tons of baby goodies home! I loved it and would not mind having another baby there!
  • I think its all military hospitals that suck! my husband is active army and were at fort hood in texas....ive been dealing with kidney stones my entire pregnancy and all the doctors do is try and give me narcotics, I never see the same doctor, im 32 weeks and been havin contractions for about a week and they "wont check for dialation until 37 weeks"...like really?! Ive been in triage and watched other moms in active labor screaming, water broke, but not any beds available! I too am extremly scared to deliver on post...good luck to u mama!
  • edited September 2011
  • Sorry it posted so many times, my phone just spazed out lol
  • @ArmyMommy I'm not surprised they sent you home because I was considered high risk because of my high blood pressure and they sent me home at 4cm. The reason is they don't have enough beds. Every women and their daughters decided the December and the beginning of January was the best time to get pregnant. I wanted to get my tubes tied but the doctor told me that there are so many women having babies this month that I would have to wait until January to get it done.
  • @NatalynAndTJsMOM, I am going to go ahead & start crying now!
    @KelseyJo, I'm starting to think you're right!
  • I gave birth here at Ft. Irwin's hospital, I cudnt give birth off base cuz tricare wud not pay for it. And I herd soo many bad things there. From others who gave birth. Or known ppl that have, I was terrified. I had to be 5.5 com dialted to be admitted cuz there r over 400 pregnant women here and they average a birth a day here and sometimes more, so I had to in active labor.
  • @mzmommy1st, I think that must be the problem here as well. Smh
  • I don't have any experience with army medical, but I gave birth to my daughter (5 years old) at the Naval Medical Center in San Diego, CA. They were awesome! The only thing I had to complain about there is that it is a teaching hospital and it took them extra long to do my c-section. But seriously, it's not like I had anywhere else to be. Good luck, I hope you have a great birth experience!
  • I guess Im lucky. I am here in San Antonio and am delivering at BAMC (Brooke Army Medical Center) They have a brand new state of the art labor and delivery ward and is also a trauma hospital. (Important for me since Im a VBAC) I have only had trouble with one doctor and I think that she was a PA not an MD. Plus I have two Majors (well really one cause my hubbys gonna be a ball of nerves!!) who wont take crap from anyone and knows exactly what I want for this delivery.
    I hope yours is not as bad as people have been saying. Just go in and make your delivery yours. Your control, your plan.