Cost of Labor and Delivery

edited August 2011 in Pregnant
Hi ladies! I don't post very often, but just had a question about the cost of a typical 2 day stay in labor and delivery and baby care.. We have insurance, but I'm curious because we got a LARGE bill in the mail after I had a brief 5 hour stay in L&D a few weeks ago. For all the mom's that have had there babies already, what should I expect for the real thing?

Comments

• I don't know first hand as this is my first as well, but I saw somewhere that the average vaginal delivery costs 6-8 thousand and the average c section 8-10 thousand (both before insurance). Now I'm not sure if that includes the hospital stay or not either but I would think it would.
  • I've been wondering this myself and starting researching with my own insurance. Seems to match with what @sunshine25 said. I'd roughly be paying around 2-5 thousand for a vaginal. Not sure with a c-section (which I'm praying not for!)
  • There was a pretty long thread about this last week. Let me search around for a link for you
  • Grr dumb phone can anyone on a computer do this for them?
  • I've read to expect a bill for anywhere between$1500-$5000 for average vaginal birth after insurance. :)
  • I've also have had a few pre-term labor scares, each of those visits costed me $280 for monitoring for an hour and urine sample, and FFN. One time I went in and it was $2000 for one hour monitoring, urine, FFN, blood draw, ultrasound (both trans vaginally and regular), and catheter because urine was contaminated . This was all after my insurance coverage. The last visit mentioned I was shocked for the bill because that is what we are expecting our birth to cost us!!!!!
  • Wow! Very good to know. Yes, I actually posted this thread a while ago... And then I saw the more recent discussion a couple of weeks ago and got a ton of great answers. Thanks for your help though!
  • LOL I didn't even look at the date!!!!
  • @mrs4c I completely understand! It's scares me to go to l&d because of the copays! I know that I need to do what's best for little man though. God forbid I have a next time lets hope the doctors office is open first :)