i need a pregly pharmacist please!!

edited September 2011 in Breastfeeding
So I have BV and my doc prescribed me flagyl. Is it ok since I'm breastfeeding? Pharmacy says no, but my doc said she usually prescribes rx's that are safe for mom n baby. She wasn't sure what she sent in for me since it was yesterday when she sent it, and she was on her way into the OR. I called pharmacy again after I got off phone with her and they told me the script is called flagyl. Any pharmacists out there I thought there was one! :/

Comments

• Btw I googled but I didn't get any definite answer. I really need these meds though cause I have bad symptoms! ! Ughhh yuck!
  • I think @gatorbob is a pharmacist...but I haven't really seen her on here since she had her baby. Good luck...
  • @gatorbob is a pharmacist. Maybe she'll see our tags and respond :)
    I do believe it can get into your breastmilk but I don't think it can harm baby, or it is very rare. I would go by what your pharmacist says though. Did your doc know you are breastfeeding?
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks for tagging her you guys!! I couldn't think of who it was exactly. @loveourlittleone, Yes my doc says she usually prescribes new moms meds that are safe for baby. I had baby 9days ago. And yeah I got the same answer from Google about the breastmilk as well. Hopefully she'll respond. :-)
  • Ugh that's frustrating. Hopefully someone knows and can help.
  • I totally allergic to flagyl
  • @mommyof3tobe This is what I found online. Although I have heard that your pharmacist would no better as to what was safe to take while breastfeeding since they are more up to date on risks and such. Sorry not much help. Hope you get your answer. ;-) **Metronidazole can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.**

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you guys!! :-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @gatorbob thank you! I'm gonna try n see my doc on Monday. I only took one of the pills.
  • Safefetus.com is a lifesaver for me! It let's you know how safe any drugs are for pregnancy or breastfeeding. Hope you find it as helpful as I do :)
  • I think your baby's pediatrician could be a good resource for you when it comes to medication questions with breastfeeding. My primary care dr always had me direct those types of questions to the pedi because they have extensive knowledge about how breastfeeding affects the baby. Good luck :)
  • edited September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mommyrn thanks I did call his pediatrician and the said no pump n dump. So that's y I only took one dose n stopped. @gatorbob thanks again. I had no info on weather to make a decision on being comfortable taking. But now I do!!:-) and...lol I was wondering what that was at the end of ur last post. What I'll do is see if there is something more "safe" I guess or atleast that transfers less of the med thru the milk.