does ur milk separate?

edited September 2011 in Breastfeeding
When I pump and store my breast milk it separates in the fridge. There is one part that's kinda milky but really liquidy. Then there's like a really white layer that's much thicker like its fatty. Is this normal? My lc said I can store it for 5 days tho it doesn't last that long. It separates after a few hours.

Comments

• Yes its normal
  • The fat settles on top. Just shake it and it'll be fine. :)
  • @adri805 whew ok. I didn't think it was going sour but I was beginning to wonder lol.
  • Yep it's like the "cream"/fatty part that goes to the top..totally normal :-)
  • Yea its not going bad. Sometimes if mine has been in the fridge for a few days it mixes better if I run the container under hot water first. You don't wanna shake it too hard.
  • I was wonderin the same thing
  • Lol I never pumped, idk how the heck I knew that
  • @starrxoxo9 why shouldn't you shake it hard?
  • Foremilk is watery to quench baby's thirst and hindmilk is rich and creamy to fatten him up! ;-)
  • @Lucyloo288 I read that it breaks down the proteins if you shake it too hard. But sometimes its hard to mix when its really cold so warming it up a little helps.
  • @starrxoxo9 ya I never shake it up cuz I figured it would break it down too much. I swirl it around then run it under warm water before heating it up. I figured the thick part was the fatty bits so I make sure its all mixed back together really well before giving it to him :)

@Ourlittlenugget no wonder he's a porker and growing like a weed (2 inches within the 1st 2 weeks he was born) cuz my milk has a thick ring of that fat when I take it out of the fridge :)
  • Wow! Way to go mama! ;-) keep it up!
  • @Ourlittlenugget hehe thanks :) I don't want him too tall tho lol. Hubby is 6'1 I'm 5'9 but my dad is 6'7! So if he's super tall I'm blaming it on grandpa lol.
  • Its also normal for it to get a yellowish brownish or even a blueish tint to it when frozen.
  • @camommy lol freeze it! Ya right! I don't have a chance to freeze any of it cuz he eats it all too fast. I have to supplement formula too :( but mine does have a light golden color to it when its in the fridge for a day or so. When I pump it tho it looks like skim cows milk
  • @kingsmama that's what mine does too when in the fridge. My daughter nurses most of the time she's only had a bottle 3 times but I know what you mean about a hearty eater Elora was 7.13 at birth and was 13.5 2 weeks ago she was born aug 4th
  • @camommy wow she is a big eater! Logan has his 1 month checkup tomorrow so ill see how much he's gained. He was 6.15 at birth and his 2wk check he was 7.5 the Dr said he's not going hungry lol. But he grew 2 inches too! I'm wondering how much he weighs and how long he is!
  • Wow! Sounds like he will be tall with those genes! LOL
  • Never knew this, good to know since im a FTM and the only one of my friends who is going to try to only breastfeed.