i'm sick of my mom and mil fussing at us cause of what we decided to name our son!

so, we decided to name our lil one Damien and my mom and mil are both up in arms about it... have been since day one! (we had his name picked out by like... 15weeks) its always 'he's going to go through hell being named after the devil's spawn' or 'he's going to be a horrible child if you name him that' or something along those lines... and all cause of a stupid effing movie! i mean seriously people... my rl name is Angel, and i put us with s**t my entire life cause of it... i think any name has means to be teased and that they should just butt out and accept the name we've chosen... hell they've both gone so far as to say they will not call him by his name... just... ugh... get over it!

anyone else being fussed at because of the name they've chosen?

Comments

• My mum is not a fan of the name we picked. Isaac. She says it sounds like I suck and people will bully him forever.
  • well i like the name isaac :}
  • edited September 2011
  • edited September 2011
  • @ Damiens_mommy Idk wth ppl feel they have so much say so in naming the child yu carried for mine months & yu have to push out ugggh!! @misselfae Isaac was my late grand dafs
  • Everyone even me isn't fond of my sons name "Jett " hubby n son picked it out...the day he was born my family offerd hubby a big flat screen TV and this new phone he's been wanting if he changed name he chose the name lol...I'm slowly getting use to it but it is annoying hearing everyone talk crap about the name...
  • edited September 2011
    @ll10 i kind of wish we'd kept it a secret till he was born. funny thing is, they all LOVED the name i had picked out if we were going to have a girl... Persephone, Goddess of grain and queen of Hades... lol they want to call him by his middle name, Lee, but i'm going to stick to my guns and tell them they have to call him Damien like it or not.

@mommyxoxo2 i know right? we made him, i carried him, its our farking choice, not theirs... sheesh!

@azmom heh, my family is too cheep to go offering stuff like that for us to get his named changed xD luckily... considering my hubby is a gamer and a big screen tv might be very tempting.....
  • Dads name & if I was having a boy that woulda been his name 2
  • We were gonna name our baby Damien if it was a boy and people said the same thing to us! That is until they realized that we don't give a shit what they think cause its our baby! I think its a cute name!!!
  • @misselfea I suck...that's really funny!!! I like the name Isaac though.
  • My parents went through something similar. My father's father and stepmother refused to call me by my actual name when I was born. They were extremely racist and told my mother literally 'Her name is a nigger name.' So for the first few years of my life I am told I was called Leigh (my middle name) instead of Mitanda by them. My mother refused to let them see me until they could actually use my name.
  • I have a 9 yr old named Damien and only once I got a weird look. I went to church with my granny when he was a baby and one lady came up and said, "awe he is so cute, what's his name?" I said, "Damien" she gave me this look of horror and walked away...lol I thought it was funny it freaked her out like that. But my Damien is super smart, super handsome, and SUPER sweet. Not a mean bone in his body
  • I love the name you picked.. Before I found out I was having a girl my mom asked me what I have chosen for names and I told her I chose makynzi taylor for a girl and jacob james for a boy and she said she dont like the boys name (because she dont like my hubby at all) so I just told her I dont care thats what we chose
  • @sands3 @damiens_mommy thing is if she had not complained my oh would have probably gone with a different name but as they dont get on he is now picking the name she hates most lol.
  • I was expecting it to be a ugly name when I opened this thread but I always liked damien even before I ever thought if having kids, so I say screw it. You will want to b happy and confide with the name you choose your son to have
  • edited September 2011
    They're crazy! Name him as you please. We had a similar situation with our daughter...everyone had their suggestions for names and criticisms for the one we chose. They are over it now. With this pregnancy we decided not to tell anyone (besides my preglys) the name we have chosen. I just don't want to hear anything from anyone about it. She's our child and they don't need to influence or make us feel bad for our choice. They will find out her name after we have filled out all the paper work for her birth the day she's born. That way it's too late for them to say anything ;)
  • I love the name damien! It was on,our short list for our first boy. Everyone said the same to me. Imagine the horror when we told family we liked Judah for this one. Lol
  • Damian is not a bad name

Damian \d(a)-mian \ as a boy's name (also used as girl's name Damian), is pronounced DAY-mee-en. It is of Greek origin. Possibly means "to tame, subdue", though the Greek root is also close to the word for "spirit". The Belgian priest Father Damien is honored as the man who gave his life helping the lepers of Molokai in Hawaii. Saint Damien (third century) is known as the patron saint of physicians.
  • I like damien!!!!! That's exactly y we have not really told n e 1.the name we picked out. We have said we don't know yet n everyone says well u better hurry n pick one...unmm we have we just don't wna tell u bc we don't wna hear ur Damn two cents
  • We decided to keep the name a secret for this very reason. It's so rude people think they can offer unsolicited opinions like that!
  • LOL @ "farkin”
  • @Beautiful_Altar i should show that to them, maybe they'd leave us alone then

the funny thing is, my dh and i are pagan... so its not like telling us 'you're naming him after the devil's offspring!' is really going to effect us any... lol
  • @sweet1 I really like that name actually. I've heard of miranda but I like mitanda better. its beautiful.
  • Yea my mom and mil don't like the name we picked for our daughter. We choose the name Ryenn like the boys name Ryan and they just think its to boyish. But we think the name and the spelling are cute! But as i was telling my hubby the other day is that if someone ever asked my kids names without seeing my kids they prob would think i have 3 boys. As my sons name is Ayden and my other daughters name is Dakota but kody for short and so my 3 kiddos names are Ayden, Kody and Ryenn! But i love each name and they are my kids not my moms or my mil!
  • RMAO ... This is too funny! Your babys name can be shit-head and it doesn't make him a shit-head.

I will tell you this... If your mothers constantly speak on him like this its gonna make him a devils kid. My father, aunt and sister are psychologist and we have a family practice. I see it all the time... Parents bringing on their kids saying... Awww he is so bad, he's always been bad.

I've always said my son will grow up to be president and my daughter will be the worlds line of defense negotiator... And I really mean it. My kids are well behaved honor roll kids.

Tell them to be positive.
  • edited September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mamma_kat I love the name Galen! I went to school with a boy named Galen. He was nice, well-mannered, and smart!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maybe u should tell them to have another baby and they can name it what they want!
  • Saint Damien is the patron saint of doctors. Maybe he'll grow up to be one.