jaundice question

edited September 2011 in Babies
My baby was born on the 16th. He was tested for jaundice in the hosp b4 we came home. Evrything checkd out fine. We been home since sunday an yesterday into 2day I noticed the whites of his eyes r kina yellowy an his cheeks kina look yellow. Is it possible that his test came bak wrong? What othr symptoms r ther of jaundice?
He is bi racial, but neiither of my othr kids seemd to look this color at this age so I dnnt knw if I shld stop worrying about it or press the issue with his dr? Advice?

Comments

• I had my son on the 15th and he tested with mild jaundice. They said just to lay him by a window shirtless for 20 min 2 to 3 times a day. Ive also noticed his eyes a bit more yellow but he has his 1st Drs Appt tomorrow & ill see what they say. Dont have much advice but will let u know by tomorrow if anything.

Bump!
  • @yayal0vesy0u anything u can tell me wil b greatly appreciated :) thanks a bunch
  • i dont know if your breastfeeding,but my dr said it is more common in breastfed babies. my baby had mild jaundice when she came home from the hospital (shes 3 weeks now)and her dr said to get her in indirect sunlight and make sure she is eating enough because that helps them get rid of it also. it helped ,i took her back a week later and she was better. i know that dont really tell you much but i hope it helps some. :)
  • @snowflake I am breastfeeding. And its been really chilly outside so its kinda hard to get him in indirect sunlight lol... he has his 1st checkup on Friday.
  • yeh,i know what you mean about it being chilly out. but like the other girl said above,you can open the blinds curtains whatever and put your baby in the sun that way. kinda reminded me of a plant when they told me to do that lol. but it worked.
  • It is possible that he developed it after. My daughter tested normal at the hospital but at her first appt. When she was 5days old she was really jaundice and needed to b on the biliblanket for over a week
  • My first had it n they told.Me.to put her in the sun for 15 minutes a.day...indirect sunlight I think.
  • My son was jaundice in the hospital our blood types are different and his body over produced antibodies to kill off my blood. I would def call your baby's doctor I'm not trying to scare you but if it is not treated correctly in rare cases it can cause brain damage, like I said RARE cases.
  • My son is 12 days old and I noticed he was looking yellow when he was 4 or 5 days old. I've been putting him in the sun since then and he's looking better but his eyes or still yellow. I'm wondering when it will go away.
  • @evryone thank u so much for all ur input an advice. He hs a appt on Friday, I'll call 2mrw to see if we can move his apt up. I seem to b the only 1 noticing him bein slightly yellow. My mom said I was crazy, an my husbnd said he cldnt really tell a difference.
  • Make sure your looking at him from sun light. Lamp lights cab make babies look yellowish, at least that's what the hospital told me before we were discharged
  • my doc has me taking vitamin d everyday twice a day to prevent it! open the blinds and let him sunbathe for about 20 mins
  • Update! @brewashington08
    My sons case is still mild but they gave me Vitamin D drops to give him daily. & said to keep letting him sunbathe near a window. Hope ur appt goes well!
  • My baby was born the 16th also & he has jaundice. His eyes are yellowish(just the white part) & my doc told me to put him in indirect sunlight with no clothes on just a diaper & feed him 1ounce of formula after I bf him
  • My first son had jaundice as well and bad. he looked like a simpson! Fortunately at the time we lived in florida, and my mom would take him out twice a day in his stroller in nothing but a diaper. Went away in two weeks. Sunlight works best! Drs were just about to set him up with the lamps too, thank goodness for good grandmas!
  • @yayal0vesy0u thanks for letn me kno
    @blendedfamilymom glad Ur litl boy got betr. :)
  • My son was mixed too and had jaundice pretty bad. I just put him in front of the window under direct sunlight as much as I could. Make sure his skin is exposed by putting him in a onesie or just a diaper.
  • My son was mixed too and had jaundice pretty bad. I just put him in front of the window under direct sunlight as much as I could. Make sure his skin is exposed by putting him in a onesie or just a diaper.
  • Oops my phone is stupid
  • My son had it too. When we left the hospital on a Thursday his levels were a 10. I had him in sunlight and that Monday at his appointment, it went up to 16. I came in the next day and it went down, so I was able to keep him. My doctors told me to have him in indirect sunlight and make sure he's eating a lot.
  • @misty2011 he is eating a lot. I hvnt noticed a change in his appetite. But the sun part is pretty hard to do since a) its kina cold out here and b) its done nothing but rain all week. :| ..he has his apt 2mrw so I'll talk to his dr bout it then.
  • That was a problem with me to (the raining part) the doctor told me as long as there is any sunlight outside, its better than none.
  • Another symptom is lack of urine but more so poops. If baby isn't pooping then it could be jaundice. And if ur Windows have uv protection then stripping baby and putting them by the window won't help.
  • My daughter was fine when we left the hospital n maybe a week or less later she was looking yellow in the eyes. I breast feed only n it took awhile to go away but now she is 7 weeks n all clear
  • My Daughters Eyes Are Yellow I Was Told To Bathe Her In The Sun