my bby is congested, hlp

edited September 2011 in Babies
my little girl is really congested. i tried the booger sucker but it does nothing. the snot is running down the back of her throat and making her gag and vomit. what can i do to help??shes miserable :'(

Comments

• How old is she maybe use a vicks vaporizer in her room
  • Keep her upright...not laying flat. That will help prevent the mucous from draining back in her throat. Humidifiers work great or even standing in a steamy bathroom. I have used baby vicks and that seems to help open the nasal passage way. Does she have a fever?
  • shes 4 weeks tomorrow. @babynum2andproud

@DreaMaria she wont sleep upright or inclined. she either has to be on her side or her belly. thats the only way she sleeps. im going to try the steam when she gets a bath tonight. and no she doesnt have a fever. can you get bby vicks at walmart?
  • Even putting a pillow under the mattress to keep it inclined or rolling a receiving blanket under her head will help. Yes, you can get it pretty much anywhere. It actually smells better than the adult vicks! Put dome on her and stand in the bathroom with a hot shower running...that will help a ton!
  • Is the vaporizer in the room and put baby vicks on her chest, back and I know it sounds weird but on the bottom of her feet and put socks on her. It really helps. Something about it absorbs faster
  • ok thank you. where do i look for it in walmart? and i hope so, i hate the smell of vicks lol
  • Its right next to the regular vicks in the medicine island the smell is way mellow compaired to regular
  • ok thank you
  • The pillow under her mattress is a good idea also wgen my son was like this at about 4 weeks i laid him over my knees face down and rubber his back for a few minutes! When i turned him over as horrible as it sounds all his phlem and snot came out his nose and i could just wipe it away! Made such a difference
  • I had this same problem none of the Vix etc were anygood so i bought Eucalyptus Oil i then got some cotton wool buds put them in a little cotton bag and hung it near her, her breathing then become clear again, also i took her to the docs they gave me sodium chloride nasal drops to give before feeds
  • I use a himidifier and a plug in vix thing. Its somewhat helping. It helped get all her gunk loose so I could booger suck her
  • If mucus is yellow/green, u need to take her to dr....
  • Also make sure you're sucking her boogers out correctly. First put some saline drops and then use the aspirator. Make sure to put it in there good. There is a video on baby center about how to correctly do it. Before I would just put the aspirator barely in the nose and suction...well nothing would come out. Then I started doing it the way in the video, except not that deep in, and it worked! Check it out because I know I wasnt doing it right.