leg and feet swelling :(

edited September 2011 in Pregnant
Well I'm exactly 33 weeks today and the dreaded swelling has begun :( the last few nights after work my legs would be swollen, so bad I could leave dents in my skin. But laying at night with my feet up always helped.
I was on my feet a lot more yesterday than the other days this week. Cleaning my house, doing umpteen loads of laundry and putting it all away then going to work. Woke up this morning and my feet feel very tight and legs are still swollen. So I'm laying on the couch feet proped up, watching cartoons with my 2 year old.
Any other suggestions besides propping feet up to help relieve swelling?

Comments

• Other than watching how much sodium you're eating and drinking lots of water, I'm not sure there is much else you can do. Compression stockings maybe?
  • edited September 2011
    Increase your protein intake to 80-100 grams a day. It will also help with fluid retention. As @loverourlittleone said, increase your water intake. Be sure to get 4-6 liters a day. Limiting your sodium intake too. Do you have any facial, hand, or arm swelling? Or is it limited to your legs? How is your blood pressure?
  • @DreaMaria it only legs that are swelling. None in my face or arms and very little in my hands. Still wearing wedding rings and get them on and off ok. BP has been great every visit. Its usually about 117/76 or colse to that. How do I increase my protein?
  • edited September 2011
    Do you work sitting down? When I was working my feet were getting really swollen too and I sat most of the day, my employer got me a leg support stool so I was able to elevate my feet while working and it really helped me. I also limited my salt intake.
  • @JuliansMommy my job I'm up and down constantly. I've been propping my legs up on a table when I am sitting to try and help while I'm there.
  • My girls will massage my feet and that really helps reduce the swelling for me. I've also noticed that my feet get swollen when I'm hot. When the weather was cooler for a few days the swelling went away.
  • You could just start with making sure you are having a source if protein at every meal. Cottage cheese (1/2 cup=12 grams) and Greek yogurt (1 container=14 grams), and skim milk (1cup=8 grams) are pretty easy to have with a balanced meal and have tons of protein. Protein bars or protein shakes are great too. I was told by my OB to drink a Muscle Milk every day. It has 25 grams of protein in one shake.
  • Make sure you are also getting enough potassium from natural sources like fruits bananas nectarines etc
    also sitting in water up to your neck for an hour or more really relieves swelling. If you have a pool or large bathtub. The coolest water you can stand without it being too cold. The pressure of the water forces fluids back into your blood.
  • Drink alot of water and u could do the compression hose if its too bad...I had to because I started swelling at 16weeks!