ok touchy subject so!! Obese children taken away..

edited September 2011 in VENT (keep it peaceful!)
ok so im watching dr. Phill and a women got her child taken away for his weight.. over 500lbs at 14yrs.. so sad.. and 4yr old 114lbs.. so sad.. I think in certain situations yeah.. they should be taken.. but first there should be an intervention.. such as councleing and drs apt.. and also classes for parents cause that can be detrimentle for the lil kiddies.. i was takin away cause my mom was an addict.. anyways oppinions ladies.. i really just feel bad for the kids cause ultimately its the paretnts that feed the child..

Comments

• I agree that most cases its the parents fault but don't agree with them being taken away. That would be the last ditch effort...classes, dietitians, drs appts, exercise, weight loss programs, ect should solve the problem. Even if it was mandatory before taking the kids away...why wouldn't the parents make those efforts on their own? I would try anything before before my kids get taken away.
  • I think they should be taken away, a mother who lets her children get that big obviously does not care about them.
  • I don't think they're intentionally harming them. They need to be educated on the harm they're doing, as well as parenting classes on how to make healthy choices and how to say no to the older children who want all junk. Taking them away should perhaps come after. But give the parents a chance to improve. We all have flaws as parents, and all deserve a chance to improve as a parent.
  • edited September 2011
    i dont think they should have there children taken away.. how do you know at 11 or 14 years old the child isnt sneaking food that the parents dont know about? just because the child is overweight doesnt mean they arnt being cared for. I dont mean to come off wrong at all i just have a cousin who is overweight and my aunt and uncle tried really really hard to control his food intake and make sure he wasnt over eating but guess what? he would over eat at school he would over eat at friends houses he would sneak food.. i dont think its always the parents it doesnt mean they dont care about there children and shame on you for saying that...so very sad every situation is different and i understand that i know some parents feed there children out of guilt or to make them happy idk what im trying to say sometimes the children have genetic makeup that causes them to be overweight also i understand both sides i do but before anyone says they dont care about there children that is not ok bc i have experienced it first hand and know that isnt always the case.
  • These parents should be monitored by cps and have to try before the kids are taken. I believe it is child abuse.
  • It depends on the situation. One of my cousins is morbidly obese because his mother made him finish his plate and eat more food than he wanted as a child. It really depends on the situation though! I never want to see a family broken apart, but sometimes it is necessary
  • There is a big difference between being overweight and being 500lbs. That child is straight on a path to diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, endocrine problems, the list goes on and on. This is a precious life that will be cut short- they don't refer to this type of obesity as "morbid" for no reason. A child this young, even if making his "own" food choices, has developed his preferences based on what he has been exposed to by people who are supposed to be protecting and guiding him. I'm sorry, but this is child abuse and it does require drastic measures. It's extremely sad but if the parents aren't going to value this child's life then someone else must step in.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @redhead25 thats kinda my idea on the subject .. first try other recourses and if that doesnt help the parent get it together .. than i dont know what will.. @Landynplus1momma im talking about morbid obesity.. not being overweight there is a different and if your child is morbidly obese and there is no medical reason for it.. i can say yeah it has something to do with the kind of food you keep in your house.. the amount of food you serve and so forth.. i didnt say they didnt care.. cause usually in these situations the parent is feeding out of guilt.. i keep healthy options in my home for my kids to eat.. certain foods are considered treats.. any kind of sweets.. would be a treat weather its deamed healthy or not.. not to mention i make my kids play outside.. run around.. and my oldest is in muay tia.. so he excersizes at least 5x a wk. @Jess510 agreed taking a child away should be an end resort after all measures have been taken @usafwife_21 true.. @MommyRN i so agree with you.. im glad you gave your input.. cause its so true.. and when i said that its the parents fault thats what i was refering to .. the types of foods that are in the home the things we teach our kids about food.. diabetes runs in my family so im very health conceouse for myself and my kids.. they are not allowd to have soda (except special occacions and thats just my older son 10yr.. just in the last year..) he can eat all the fruits and veggies he wants but when it comes to prossesed meat its rarely in my home.. i cook most meals and they are allowed to have desert.. or treats.. just not all the time.. anyways thanks ladies for all your oppions i think were all pretty much on the same page..
  • @2BeForgotten a childs life is not a jokee ... but thanks for your input.. i do agree that there are many other things out there much worse and that kill faster.. but they are not that out there and people dont talk openly about how theyre abused at home.. otherwise im sure there would be alot more kids in the system.. not to mention those things are kept secret.. and a morbidly obese child is obviouse.. thats the difference..
  • edited September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I agree I was taken away when I was 9 cause my parents drinking and by 11 I was.adopted and living in a new country with a new language out was a lot. I am thankful but in my situation it was needed for my item good but with this situation the parents should just be taught what to feed their children before just taking them away. I wonder if they had any other reason for taking the kids away because something like that doesn't make them horrible parents they just need guidance on childrens care and health
  • @2beforgotten me too. Hahaha @jules yep I agree