NEED tips for sore/cracked nipples, PLEASE??

edited September 2011 in Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding has been REALLY hard for me. My baby is 10days old & I need some tips on cracked, sore nipples. I tried lanolin but it hasn't been working, what else can I do? Will breastfeeding ever get better? When will my nipples finally toughen out?

Comments

• Not to sure what else helps the sore/cracked part, but i know after a bit your nips will be like iron man nips and bf wont hurt like it dose now. Good Luck.
  • Is your baby latching onto just the nipple? Make sure that baby has a good mouthful, this will also let the babt extract milk more efficiently. Are you breaking the seal formed by babie's mouth before thaking baby off to burp or change sides? Either of these can cause sore nipples.
  • Rubbing in some of your breastmilk on your nipples can help..its got some natural healers in it =] also rry babyoil right before you dry off in the shower, then lanolin before you put ur bra on =] hope this helps!!
  • @mommy_rel babyoil? Never heard that, but thanks I'm def going to try it :)
  • Put some of your milk in it and let it air dry. They'll toughen up in a few weeks.
  • @Granny2B the first 2 days he was only latching on my nipple but he latches great now. It's just from the first couple days that did the damage & they're just taking a long time to heal :/
  • Yep helps lock in moisture..but ive heard using breastmilk reallllly helps =] good luck!!