Help. Im getting discouraged. Need advice!

edited September 2011 in Breastfeeding
So my son is now 3 days old and in the hospital I was told he was latching on perfect but my nipples to look at are red cracked and the upper half of my nipple is swollen. And its SO painful to try to feed him. I tried nipple shields and they hurt and he don't like them.
Sooooo I went and bought a pump to try to give them time to heal....
Well here's the problem, I don't seem to be getting enough to keep him happy and full..

Is my milk just not all the way in yet, or am I pumping wrong, or am I just not producing enough period?

I've been using lanolin ointment and it helps to keep them moist but they are still cracked and hurt even to pump.

I REFUSE. to give up I just need LOTS of help and advice and if you have any questions that I didn't answer please ask for any information to help better understand what I'm sayin for the best. Possible advice..

Anything will help even.just words of encouragement!

Thanks ladies

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I wish I could help you but Im a FTM like you but ill Bump it for you:)
  • Even if the baby is latching good the nipple still gets sore my baby is two weeks old and they still hurt sometimes just keep trying maybe try the gel pads lanolin helps me and when u take a warm shower it kinda hurts but helps its hard but dont stop Breastfeeding it will get easier
  • Your doing great keep it up!! @ashleyfew had great advice you will make it to where breastfeeding won't hurt!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hang in there the first few weeks can be pretty brutal. Try not to give up, it will get easier. The gel pads work great and cream and ice might help;)
  • more milk should be coming n real soon...my daughter is a wk old today and just like 2-3 days ago my nipples are heeled and feeling a whole lot better..my right side hurts still every now and then..
    just keep trying!!
  • keep using the lanilole and bf through the pain.. its the only way to get your supply up.. your milk is still comeing in and thats probably why you dont have enough yet..