favortism?

edited October 2011 in Parenting
I have a 3yr old son. And a 2yr old daughter. Personally I have always thought my mom played favorites between the 2 kids. My mom wil want to keep my son overnight an take my son to do things. I told her recently that she can't keep my son overnight anymore until she spends some 1 on 1 time with my daughter an she got mad.. well today she was visiting an she askd if she cld take my son to the movies this weekend... an I askd if she plannd on taking both kids an she said no. So I told her she can't take 1 without the other. It wldnt b that big of deal if my kids wernt so close in age an want the same things.. am I over reacting by not letting her take my son until she spends some time with my daughter? What do u ladies think?

Comments

• I totally agree wit u 100% ! I wulda did the exact same thing :)
  • I totally agree with you! When one goes so should the other. If she keeps it up you will have to answer tough questions from the youngest. You dont want to breed sibling rivalry. Stop it now before its too late. Good luck momma
  • @mrz_jackson2anpreggo @misselfae it bothers me cuz being so close in age (roughly 10months) they hav a lot of the same intrest and do the same things. Even tho theyr boy and girl. The movie she wants to take him to is about a robot. She said my daughter wldnt b intrested. When I told her she can't take 1 without the other she told me I'm just trying to get rid of my kids and that's not the issue at all.
  • Do your little girl cry with her r something?
  • @hot2cold87 no my little girl is fine an comfortable with her..
  • i go thru the same with both my kids. it feels like my mom favors my daughter and bfs mom favors my son... it bugs me and i feel the same way u do. i think what ur saying is reasonable...
  • I agree with you. Pretty soon your kids will be big enough to realize she plays favorites with them. Have you told her why she can't take one without the other
  • Omg that's so not fair! I have a cousin same scenario as you and no one is allowed to take 1 without the other.. your definately in the right
  • I no how u feel my son isn't biologically my husbands but my daughter is an I told him real quick if his mom showed favoritism she wuld nevr see my kids again ! Sorry but no one is gona hurt my babys feelings
  • Well even if she had some weird reason why she only wanted to take your son it still doesn't matter they are both her grandkids and there shouldnt be favoritism. And the kids are gonna catch on after some time and its gonna hurt them and their relationship worth her.
  • I agree w/you girl. It's not fair of your mom to take one & not the other. Ask her what the big deal is
  • not fair at all. question ... do u have any brothers? if not did she want a boy?
  • Lol well I don't see why I know one of my God daughters get left by her granny b/c she a handful n don't know how to act nowhere lol
  • N she cry to come home early
  • When I met my now fiance his mum was like thst with his son and daughter, would buy her things but not him, offer to look after his daughter but never his son. It took for me to tell her nicely that her grandson asks for her when he doesnt see her and that he does miss her for her yo realise what she was doing. I also told her thst spoiling her granddaughter wasn't good for her and was turning her into a brat. It took time to change old habits but now she either has them both or alternates between the two kids depending on what she is doing with them.
    Your mother probably doesnt even realise she is doing it. Maybe suggest next time she wants to take your son somewhere that she take your daughter instead so you can.have some 1 on 1 with your son because its hard to find time for that when they are so close...
  • @samantha yes I've explained to her why I dnt want her takin 1 with out the other. She knws my feelings towards this. An I tell her she needs to take my daughter for some 1 on 1 time an all she said was "well tyty (my son) will cry If I leave without him" well my daughter cries when she leaves witout her an she dnt seem to care
    @mrz_jackson2anpreggo I feel the same way. My little girls feelings r gona b hurt when she realizes
    @blessed1508 no I dnt hav brothers. Just sisters. That cld play in a big factor why she treats him different
    @hot2cold87 no my kids r well behaved ecspecially in public. So I dnt think that's it lol.
  • Your daughter will start gettin issues if that carries on, poor girl! They shouldn't have favourites as a grand parent its just wrong!
  • yep a huge factor!!!
  • @tink1326 I hav tried explaining it to my mom. An I evn told her to alternate between the 2 of them that she doesn't hav to take both at the same time, but she has yet to do anything special with or for my daughter.
  • Well... Im a pretty straight forward person. I would put my foot down and say its either my way or not at all... But I know that doesnt work for everyone
  • @tinka1326 I'm the same way as far as bein straight fwd an I did tell my mom she eithr treats them fairly or she won't get 1 on 1 with eithr of my children its been almost 2 months since my son has spent the night with her cuz I jus stopd allowing it cuz she won't take my daughtr.. but now she's wantn to take him to the movies an not my daughter. It pisses me off cuz my daughter realizes that mamaw is takin bubby bye bye an not her cuz she ask wher they went when they do leave. That's why I stopd the 1 on 1 visits with her an my son cuz my daughter started askn questions
  • Wow hunny... Thats just sad that she obviously cant see the damage she is doing
  • @tinka1326 I talkd to my husband about it cuz he wasn't here when my mom ask to take our son to the movies. He said he wants us all to sit dwn an talk bout it.. he's just as bothered by it. An no she don't see the damage in the least bit. Her only response to me when I tell her she needs to take both is that I'm just tryna get rid of my kids
  • I am wondering if she took them both, would she give your son more attention and more ignore your daughter. If that might be the case, then you might go with her taking one then the other, starting with your daughter.
  • @granny2b u knw I nvr thought about that. Well i told her last time she had my son that next time she needed to take my daughter. She stil hasn't took my daughter an now when my 3 yr old ask to go with her she says no ur mommy won't let me take u. So it makes me look likethe bad guy. Wev completly stopd 1 on 1 visits for awhile now. 2day is the 1st time she's askd in a long time to take my son anywher.
  • lol...well idk im sure she love them both the same maybe she doesnt want the oldest to feel pushed aside well instead of me guessin have you ask her why she does it?lol b/c i see it a lot but like i said its crying or behavior problems so its weird to me as a just b/c type of thing...
  • I agree w u there is no reason to play favs