Breastfeeding ladies please help

edited October 2011 in Breastfeeding
My nipples are super sore and bleeding...is it bad for baby to get blood...have any of you ladies like stopped breastfeeding and pumping for a little and given your babies formula until your nipples healed?

Comments

• Its fine if they get blood. I stopped breastfeeding and pumped instead on the side that was worse. it takes a while for them to heal so I wouldn't useformula cuz ur supply will go way down
  • Also if u just feed through the pain they will toughen up better. I know it hurts like a bitch but waiting for them to heal and then starting again is just gonna make them hurt bad again. Then u have to go through the whole process again
  • With my first he caused me to bleed and I just gave him formula like once because I took my ass to the consultant and she said it was fine just apply the cream and try to nurse on the side that's not that bad first. If it bleeding bad though just rest them and get a nipple sheld. Sorry hun it gets better. Try to get babies mouth as wide as you can and tickle nose with nipple and when baby got big mouth smash on to boob. You want more of the bottom of the areola in mouth and nipple at roof of mouth. If after 20 seconds of sucking it still hurts break the latch and try again the initial latch still hurts me but after a while it gets better. I have to sometimes pinch my boob and sanwhich it in her mouth.
  • edited October 2011
    And make sure you break the latch before you pull the baby off. Just use your little finger to break the suction. You can also spritz your breast pads with water and put them in the freezer before you nurse and by the time your done, they'll be nice and cool to put them in your bra for some relief.
  • My right boob was bleeding n scabbing yesterday while I was pumping n I thru it away. But she jacked up my right nipple bc I couldnt get her to latch on right so now I just pump milk n she is also on enfamil
  • They also make there things called nipple shells.. they keep your bra off of your nipple so it can heal.
  • edited October 2011
    @QueenNique see thats the problem i cant get the bottom of my nipple in her mouth and its hard to try and hold her then support her head and my bood then try and make her open her mouth big then shove my boob in there ive been trying but just cant get it :(

@lucyloo288 thanks im going to try those tricks
    @MrsThompson34 so you mix her formula?
    @jazzi89 ugh the pain is so unbareabe lol
  • I kno!.i almost quit cuz of it
  • @jazzi89 i just pumped 3oz out right now glad my friend is here to help calm her cause shes due for a feeding soon and i refuse to give the nipple i mean they are jacked right now
  • Ya I belive it lol
  • edited October 2011
    If you have a boppy, put it around you, lay her on it close to you. Hold head/neck/shoulder area with one hand and boob with the other.
  • @caroline8_p yea I do that already...my problem is getting all the nipple in her mouth
  • I have problems getting my nipple in his mouth too! I try to get it in there and he gets frustrated and cries so hard that he wont latch.
  • I do formula so yes it gives them a break and doc said a little blood is fine.
  • edited October 2011
    Try the cooling gel pads. Ameda and Medela sell them and they had me healed in one day.
  • @BriellesMommy ooooooo unkind have to go get those lol

@texasmom3 so u do breastmilk and formula our just when you needed a break
  • @young_mommy yes she gets so mad so I just give in and take the pain