Formula??

edited October 2011 in Breastfeeding
Ok, I have a question about something that I've never thought about. Husband just asked what formula are we going to use? I quickly said I'm going to breastfeed..and he said what if baby does not latch on right away? I never thought about any of this. So I was wondering from ladies who formula feed, what kind do you use and why? Any help I would appreciate thanks

Comments

• If it comes down to it you can always pump,
  • I use similac advance and also breastfeed. My son prefers breastmilk (he makes a face when given formula haha) and doesn't have an issue with the similac.
  • I never wanted to breastfeed.. however, my son is on similac advance.. he's doing great on it, doesn't spit up or anything
  • I use similac. It's the one they used in the hospital when my son was in the NICU for a day so I stuck with that. I also breastfeed when I can and pump. I tried Enfamil but he didn't like it and didn't eat much of it and also made him spit up a lot.
  • I use similac advanced
  • edited October 2011
    i use Gerber Good Start Gentel formula and gave him breast milk had to pump though
    cause i wasnt comfortable breastfeeding :/
    i was useing similac at first but there was always chunks of formula still in it
    and for some reason he spit up alot cause of it had to take him to the ER :[
  • I use similac soy, you can go to strongmoms.com and they will send you samples and coupons. I was like you, strictly going to BF but my nipples are flat and my son refused to latch even with the help of shells and a shield. Plus he had jaundice (sp) really bad and the Dr wanted me to go ahead and formula feed a little to help flush his system. So its a good idea to have a lil formula on hand just in case. It's not like you can't donate it if its not needed.
  • We use similac. I also pump... Can't breastfeed cause she won't latch. We give her pumped milk at home for the most part and formula when we aren't home. Similac is what they gave her in the nicu. We tried gerber and it gave her HORRIBLE gas...and enfamil makes her sick. We went back to the simalac and she is fine.
  • Enfamil newborn is what i use. I used enfamil with my son and had no problems. I chose to breast feed this time but had to supplement with some formula because 1.) Colostrum wasn't enough for her 2.) She was jaundice and i was asked to add in some formur. Right now she gets 1bottle during the evening so daddy can feed her but she only gets 2oz from it. Also in the evening it seems like i don't have enough milk no matter how much she sucks it doesn't seem to be enough.
  • I use similac sensitive...he's doing really well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Our hospital only had Similac, but I used Enfamil last time and planned to this time as well. We switched to Enfamil after I ran out of the Similac from the hospital and she's much less fussy now. Enfamil is the best in my opinion. But they are really very similar and Similac seems to send out more coupons.
  • I am set on bf and so far doing great, but I still have formula in the cupboard just for emergencies
  • Thank you very much @everyone
    Similac seems to be the popular choice. I really want to breastfeed and pump when I need to so I'm going to wait and see how everything goes.
  • Thats a good idea @tinka1326
  • If u go to similac.com they have a thingie u test and it tells u the one to choose :)
  • Thank you so much @ta2edblondie I feel a lot better about this situation. ok cool, I will have to check that out :) @darknesofnight4u
  • It's an awesome site
  • Similac advance has been doing well for my baby, i also breastfeed & pump when i can, the more breastmilk the better! : )
  • edited October 2011
    Sounds like youve got plenty of advice on formula. :) Just dont let anyone set you up for failure. If you set your mind to doing it, youll do it. It wont be easy at first, but in the long run its easier and healthier. Just dont be afraid to say you can do it, because you totally can.
  • I'm due November 24 . Thank you very much that would be so helpful @ta2ed blondie :) >:D<
  • Thank you very much, I really hope I can do it @captainmorgaine