question about jaundice

edited October 2011 in Babies Health
Since I've had Brody on 10/22 his levels for billirubin (jaundice) was 8 then we got re tested and they were 12 the next day than Tuesday re tested and I just got the results back and they went up to 13. We have to go again tomorrow. How do I get them to go down? And what does it mean if they keep rising? I'm kinda worried.

Comments

• The best way to get them down is to put him in indirect sun. Example..in front of a window or short walks outside, also its released through bowl movements. As for the levels rising my pediatrician said they peek by day five of life then they should fall. 20 is what she said was the number to be scared of. At that number they would hospitalize. My son had this which is why I know, but he peeked at 11 ! Good luck momma and try not to stress to much!
  • My baby (born 10-20) had this problem. All. I did was feed her more often, so she had more bowel movements. It's the only way to improve it. They call it breastfeeding jaundice.
  • Both of my boys had jaundice. My first had it really bad and was in NICU until he was a week old. My second had a mild case of it and they let us take him home when I left the hospital and just keep him monitored with dr appts and blood tests to check the level. With my 2nd I just made sure to feed on demand even when he camped out on my breast for hours. I knew he needed to get his system flushed and we made sure he got some sunlight.
  • Feed often & vitamin D drops daily!
  • yes sunlight is the best thing for them i was born with it and my mom would just lay me on my tummy by a window and it kills two birds with one stone belly time and sun time lol
  • My daughter had it.she was in nicu under lightsthen they gave us a bili blanket to use at home
  • Where do I get vitamin d drops at @yayal0vesy0u? I have him sitting by the window now in his diaper and ill start letting him camp out on my boob lol. His Dr was no help he just said breast feed. But I knew there had to be more I can do
  • Any pharmacy! & give a dropper full daily! My Dr told me about it & it worked!
  • I'm gonna do that. :) ill pick some up tomorrow after his levels get tested again. Thanks @everyone.
  • Your welcome!
  • So how is Brody doing? Is jaundice gone yet?
  • Yes it is gone. :) he is no longer yellow lol. Thanks for asking. @yayal0vesy0u
  • Alana had the same numbers , she was born 10-11-11 , she looks way better though I'm sure its gone but she was having a lot of bm's and eating a lot and some direct sunlight. You can even lay the baby by a sunny window in a onesie for a few mins a day.
  • Good to hear!