cracked nipples (tmi)

edited October 2011 in Breastfeeding
My daughter is 8 days old and feeding and latching perfectly, but when we were first learning she damaged my left nipple quite badly. I now latch her in a different position to try to allow it to heal, I express a little milk and let it dry to assist, use gel breast pads (mainly cos it feels so darn good) and the lansolin (sp) cream, but it just doesnt seem to be healing. I so badly want to continue but every time she nurses that side I tense up and have to force myself to relax... It hurts soooo bad!!!
Any stories or suggestions are very much welcomed

Comments

• really... no one...
  • It took about three weeks for mine to start feeling better. Just keep doing what you're doing and they should eventually heal. It gets better, I know everyone says that but it does.
    I have flat nipples so my son has to suck hard to get them out when he first starts to nurse and that would hurt like a you know what but he is a month now and it no longer hurts when he does that
  • I'm.having issues with my left side cuz my son prefers that side. Hurts so bad tears come to my eyes. plus I'm engorged so w.e he doesn't drink I pump out and I have blister on that boob that the skin ripped off of today so I'm in a lot of pain. Waiting to see of anyone else gives u help so I can also get some. I'm sorry I couldn't assist u but everything u have done I.have as well.
  • I was the same way but I took the easy way out and stopped bf. It wasn't for me. I hope it gets better for you soon.
  • i really dont want to stop. i really am hoping that it gets better.
  • @tinka1326 I went through the same thing. I actually got mastitis last week. I was sooooo weak. It can come from cracked nipples from breasfeeding. Needless, to say I'm fine now and my son still latches like a pro. I was prescribed an antibiotic to clear it up. Be on the lookout for flu like symptoms (chills,fever,body aches, etc) I am still breasfeeding and still tense up when he first latches on, but the initial pain subsides within 10-15 secs. Keep with it. My lactation consultant says its normal. I hear within 2 weeks of Breasfeeding it gets much better. I have been breasfeeding for 11 days now and since the infection has gone, I am doing much better.
  • It does take time. I remember I used to cringe n wanna cry when he latched on the left n now It's been 3w bf n it just hurts a lil for the initial for 30 secs. It sux but if u want to continue you gotta deal. It's worth it tho :)
  • I used to express BM, let it air dry, then use the lanolin. Also I took a break n used formula maybe 2 feedings a day for 3 days n it got better
  • @dra765 I know that if I start supplementing at all it will feel too easy and I will give upup

Thanks to everyone else for your responses its good to know im not alone in this :-)
  • i used a nipple shield for a few days to help myself heal...i would use it to get him latched and sometimes remove it....the nurses were all worried he would refuse 2 eat without it if i wasnt careful..but he did fine!

what kind of nipple cream are you using? i used one from wal-mart that worked better than anything else...if you put it on your nipple kinda thick then put a breast pad on betweem feddings it works wonders! i will post what kind of stuff it was....

dont give up mama! you can do it! hope you feel better soon!
  • its mmade by (the first years) brand called Nipple Butter and its lanolin free..i bought mine at wal-mart in the baby section with the breastfeeding stuff! it was about $9 here in tx! hope u start feeling better!
  • @vanalkr im in Australia so no walmart here lol my sister suggested the cocoa butter brand so will give that a go. I really do feel better that im not the only one struggling a little
  • I promise it will get better. Just stick to it mama, every single day you nurse is a step forward.
  • @tinka1326 i would be willing to mail you a tube!! girl im all for breastfeeding and doing anything to make it work! ;)

inbox me if ur intrested!
  • Yea I understand it was easier, but if you're truly committed you won't stop. I felt so guilty every time I fed him formula but I needed that break. U can try pumping for a few feedings to get a break too
  • When you're living in the moment in that situation, man does it seem like FOREVER! It REALLY will get better! Mine took 4 weeks at least! I cried many times and tensed up every feeding. Its really hard to not give up, but you can do it!

Try this: get a little butter, melt it in the microwave, while its still warm rub it on your broken nipple. Dip a napkin in it & stick it in your bra on your nipple too. After every feeding from that boob, just clean it with water & soap & more water before offering boob again.
  • @Caroline8_p @dra765 @vanalkr @captainmorgaine
    Well this afternoon I came down with a really bad case of gastro that my 2yo also has so because I was so exhausted I fed her expressed milk and pumped. I will be doing that overnight because I worry I will fall asleep while feeding her the boob and suffocate her (i have huge boobs I often have ti hold myself away from her nose) so hopefully pumping will give my sore side a much needed rest. Wish me luck that me and my little boy get better soon
  • I Had that same problem. My son is now 11 days old, and with the first few days of nursing him my left side was really damaged. so I continue to nurse him on the right boob, and strictly pump from the left, i also use breast shells in between feedings... After ablut 5 days of strictly pupming the left side, its back to normal, no more soreness or cracked nipple, and now he can nurse from that side again..
  • The same thing happened to me, but instead of just one side..BOTH nipples were damaged. It hurt so bad I used to tense up when he would latch on & would cry almost every feeding. It felt like forever & thought I was going to quit breastfeeding. I just started pumping more often so I could bottle feed him instead of putting him on the boob & it got better for me within a few days. I had tried everything to get them healed, elastagel pads, lanolin, letting bm dry on nipples..but nothing worked for me. But by the 3rd week it was all better. Don't give up girl, I know its hard but it will get better..even though it seems like forever ;)
  • My were bleeding the other day. I soaked it in warm salt water for 5 mins. This helped a lot. I also use ice packs after feeding and soft nipple shells from medala (sp) they are great. You can buy two kinds one for inverted and one for sore nipples. They help because you don't have wet pads on your nipple and they keep your bra from rubbing against them. My nipples stopped bleeding right away. I use hpa lanolin from lansinoh.