Bad Advice? Or that you dont like

I'm a part of a few different forums, and o know there is no perfect way to parent, but by golly if there isn't some advice that just rubs me the wrong way.

Advice #1 if baby fusses, or dont sleep through the night put cereal in bottle because obviously the baby is hungry and thats why he/she wakes.
This advice is an old wives tale, if you do want to give cereal to ur baby use a spoon so it's not a hazard. And can help teach the basics of eating. But each baby is different and meds to learn their days and nights. Parenting is not about convience.

So what advice makes you grit ur teeth when you see it?

:disclaimer: I'm not saying anyone is worse than anyone else or better or anything like that

Comments

• Thank goodness I'm not the only one who feels that way. My mom is convinced she did a great job with my sister and I...if only she knew she was the cause of our anxiety problems and I HATE her parenting advice!
  • In my opinion I have to strongly disagree with people trying to induce unless medically nessasary. To me You should just let babies cook till They are done I have heard so many sad stories about babies born early. And just because baby is fine when he comes out doesn't mean a problem (asthma, learning disability, even problems sleeping) can't show up in later years.

But I'm in the minority here. I don't mean to cause issues but I consider it bad advice.
  • I agree with you as well @conreeaght & @misskristin
    I also hate it when people are trying to push me to start solids. It's like hey i'll decide when, the american academy of pediatrics says ebf til 6 months ATLEAST! And when that don't work and a friend or relative says "i did it with my kids and they're just fine" I reply with "do we really wanna go there with your kids, I mean how do you know that some of your parenting choices didnt effect they're lifestyles" it maybe a little heartless but i'm sick of people trying to feed my 4 month old chocolate pudding, or mashed potatoes and gravy
  • edited October 2011
    @conreeaght I also don't agree with all these supposed self induction techniques and before anyone tries to say I don't know what it's like to be overdue or miserable, I do. My son was 8 days over due before the doctor deemed it time to induce. I never once considered castor oil or anything else that could potentially make me feel even more miserable. I did walk & have sex, but those were also things I was doing anyway.

@pesmommy SMH...I'd be pissed if someone attempted to force food on my baby when I was blatantly & vocally against it.

I also don't feel that women should elect to under go a c-section simply to skip labor for reasons that truly are selfish. I don't care about an agenda or how my vagina will look after having a baby...it is a baby, there is nothing more amazing or rewarding than giving birth. I think c-sections should be reserved for medical reasons only.
  • I hate it when people suggest marijuana is ok to use for morning sickness because they "know someone who smoked pot while prego and their kid is just fine". If you woulnt hand your newborn a joint why would you think its ok to get your fetus high?
  • Yes theres just things that make me shake my head.
  • Lol agreed with everyone.
  • I hated when people tried to give my son terrible food at a young age! My bd tried to give my two month old sweet tea!! I literally jumped across the table and smacked it out of his hands! What part of formula ONLY confuses you!? He would try to give him anything he could "just to try it" ...really? :-| he's two months old. He doesn't need to try anything! He can try cereal when he is 4months old like the Dr told us! Not jelly or straight butter or whatever random food!!
  • How do u mean induce? Once I hit 38 weeks I started on epo, raspberry tea to help once I was in labour as I wanted a natural no meds birth, I walked a lot anyway when I was Leafleting for my buisness as I spent less time in the office an I would spend hours sat on my ball as it was the only time I could get comfey! Oh an we had lots of sex!

What annoys me is people telling me how to feed my child!! I exclusively breast fed til she was over 4 weeks before I introduced 1 formula bottle a day hopeing my milk would up an I could pump more but it hasn't happened so I now do both. I get told I should just breast feed but its got to the point I stress an worry which isn't good for me or fair for Hope! Then I get told I should completly switch to formula which I'm not ready for! I feel like I can't win!

• @babynumber02 omg sweet tea. True story: my grandma gave my brother so much sweet tea that at the age of 2 his 4 front teeth had to be pulled, so for 4 1/2 yrs he was toothless in the front. Horrible right?! Soo stupid

@hopes_mummy as long as your doing the best that you can no one should make you feel bad.
  • O man, I stopped telling people I breastfed for the first 2 weeks, they would get all kinds of crazy saying I shouldn't have stopped and that i'm harming my child, the lady at the wic office had the nerve to say I was making my child stupid for quitting the boob. I figured 2 weeks was better than none. Anywho, I like looking up advice or asking for it on here, but I don't listen when people tell me what to do.
  • I hate how I have this one friend who is an organic religious freak, and not to bash, its her life but the fact that she was pissed that I got an epidural, and that I was using Johnson to Johnson soaps and lotions bc they have chemicals, then the fact that I wouldn't eat organically so my breast milk wouldn't be healthy? Then shoving Christianity down my throat. She's 17 and telling me how to raise a baby. F*cked up right?
  • Its not just a baby thing either! I have 12 & 14 year old sons and was told once that I give america a bad name by some random wal mart customer when I told my son he couldn't have an attitude and try to knock stuff off the shelfs or he would get spanked (he was having a teenage attitude problem at the time!) Nothing will make me snap so much at someone than when people try to tell me how to raise my children!! Now thanks to that comment that is his one permanent response when he's mad lol but when they're brand new babies heck no - hand sanitizer for all & no one will be feeding her any type of crap- no alcohol rubbed on the teething gums nada!
  • @kimberly4411 at least u tried. I do feel that wic is too biased for sure
    @teeniemommy see no one should get upset with another mom b/c she didn't do the same. If that was the case I'd have no friends lol... Some people are crazy
    @melodya lol gotta love people at walmart
  • I never try to push my views or opinions, just tell people things that worked for me. How people raise their kids is up to them, they have to deal with any consequences not me lol

I hate seeing women medically induced for no reason and induced before they are even due. I know pregnancy cam be shitty and painful those last few weeks but its,what we signed up for.
    I used castor oil in a small dose cos I hadnt pooped in 3 days, was a week overdue, 4cm dilated, had 2 s&s and going to be medically induced in 3 days if she didn't come on her own. But certainly wouldnt have done it otherwise.
  • I hate when people tell me I should be bfing when they're complete strangers. Mind your own f*cking business.(for the record I am bfing, but that's my tits you're talking about!!)
  • My baby is 3 wks and usually eats 3 oz about every 2 hours, sometimes 3.5 oz. Yesterday she would only eat a little @ a time and keep wakin up every 30 mins-1hr to finish her bottle. So when my bd went home, he tells me "My sister said u gotta up her ounces to 5, that's why she keeps wakin up hungry so often, that it's not good to feed her little by little like that." ooo made me so mad! Like umm last time I checked, I"M the mom and I know EXACTLY how much formula my baby's tummy can handle. I'm with her 24 hrs and I'll be damned if anyone tells me how much to feed her & when. 5 oz is too much. She can only drink 4 @ the most and that's when she oversleeps and wakes up super hungry.
  • People keep telling me not to cut my sons nails with nail clippers. And that I should bite his nails instead. Like seriously people don't you know how many germs are in your mouth?!?!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lol ya. I mean I know people have good intentions but sometimes I see REALLY vulnerable moms receiving bad advice and I just wanna yell "dont listen to that!" I research, ask professionals, learn by taking my time, and some suggestions are good. but when people are so darn pushy I get pissed
  • i get pissed bc everytime my son makes a noise or cries my mom and fiance go "he's hungry!" or "he wants the boobies!" but he's not ALWAYS HUNGRY damnit. sometimes he fusses because he just wants to sit by himself and be left alone to look around. i know my baby's cries and every time he fusses you can't just shove a dang bottle (or my boob) in his mouth!!!!!! ahhhhh X( lol
  • @pesmommy omg the cereal in a bottle drives me crazy!! Babies are supposed to get up at night, I totally agree parenting is not about convenience! @oc86 my 9 weeks old barely started 5oz!! She's crazy!
  • @mam082711 omg I totally agree.family members and my hubby are horrible.bout that. I'm like I just fed her she might need changed or just attention lol

@lily_glz yay someone understands me lol
  • Right after I had my baby Sil calls my hubby and tells him "make sure y'all get baby circumcised, because if y'all don't he will hate y'all" I was like are you f*cking serious???? Ugh I swear I felt like smacking her across the pacific ocean! Who is she to tell me what to do to my babys penis!!! Just thinking about it makes my blood boil!
  • My mil tries to give me advice that is 30 yrs outdated, I listen and then tell her why she is wrong from what the doctor good me and add that things have changed bc they found out whatever she is saying is detrimental, like biting off the nails bc of the germ thing.
    I hate that the stupid doctor at the hospital where Rileigh was born forced us to formula feed instead of respecting we wanted to BD exclusively. Yeah, she was toungue tied, but help us did that before we go, not tell me as you are preparing to discharge that if we we don't give her a bottle you will make her stay. We still have issues getting her to latch from that whole incident. >:( I always thought the doctors were supposed to be pro bf.