tummy time

edited November 2011 in Pregnant
When do u start tummy time?

Comments

• when di u start it tho
  • when home frm hosp.. first week
  • I've heard three to four months
  • I started from the moment he was born. Chest to chest counts. But from the day he came home from the hospital he has had tummy time. He prefures being on his stomach.
    I would advise starting right away. If you wait till three or four months they will hate it and scream everytime you put them on their stomach. Some also just wait for the cord to fall off.
    But its all up on when you want to do it :)
  • I don't wanna start to soon
  • I was told 2mths by his Dr
  • I say start out with chest to chest with you laying flat/semi flat. Then at 2 months or so start tummy time on the floor. Some babies are gonna hate it in the beginning no matter what you do. My son is 3 months and is just now starting to like tummy time more on the floor then my chest.
  • Also my pedi said right away, gave me instructions on how often a day. There is no such thing as to soon, some parents do it from the beginning some wait.
    As long as its supervised your baby is fine
  • I was told to start floor tummy time as soon as I got home from the hospital even if its just for a few mins till they get used to it.
  • My pediatrician told me to start right away, she told me at his 2 day MD appt.
  • I started til her cord fell off BC hers bled. So at 2 weeks I started
  • My daughter loves laying on my chest, she is really strong and loves lifting her head and looking at me. I dont do it specifically or at any regulated time, she prefers to spend alot if time wrapped so its a bit hard to do floor time yet, she is 9days
  • My daughter is 3 weeks old and loves being on her stomach whether it be laying on my chest, laying on a blanket on the couch (with me beside her of course) or laying on a padded tummy time mat we have. When she is laying on the couch or on the mat I only let her lay that way for a little while though. She is already pushing up on her arms and holding her head up for periods of time.
  • My daughter is 10 days old ands already really good at lifting her head! I say do it early!!
  • I was wondering the same thing (about how long to wait) and was about to make my own post haha good thing i looked! At first i waited til Lily's cord fell off but now i cant put her on her stomach on the ground cus she has a hernia and it hurts her. She loves doin it on my chest and its a 50/50 on the bed, but screams bloody murder on the floor. (Obviously its not the straight floor for thos who were wondering. I use a play mat thingy.)
  • I was told once the umbilical cord falls off
  • But both of my girls hated it. They could both lift their heads from day one tho so I never really worried about it
  • What is the purpose of tummy time?
  • edited November 2011
    I started tummy time at 3 weeks when my babys neck was a little stronger.
  • my baby has absolutly NO intrest in tummy time..whne i lay him on his tummy he doesnt move then within a few minutes hes asleep! almost every time! hows he gonna get to crawlin if hes asleep? lol!
  • My baby doesn't really like it but you can start at 4 weeks on a blanket chest to chest you can start immediately after coming home
  • @oc86 makes their neck strong. Lay baby on tummy and baby is suppose to (try) hold head up, kind of like neck exercises.
    My baby is 2 months and can hold his head up good and I just started recently but like the girls said chest to chest is good too that's how I started
  • it also stops baby getting a flat head
  • I just didn't wanna hurt her, she loves laying on my chest looking around. And I set her up and she will try to look around idk what she would do if laid on the floor,how long do u let them lay on the floor?
  • I was told 1month by the nurses in the hospital & his pediatrician
  • I like im going to wait tell 2 months
  • My daughter doesnt like it on her tummy time mat. I usually does chest to chest. She has always had a strong neck brestfeeding use to be a challenge because she would turn her head so far and stiffin up she was a 6lb monster lol. But I did tummy time more for her head shape I had my baby lopsided now her head is perfect.