Newborn sick?

edited November 2011 in Babies Health
My son is now 4 weeks and when I woke up this morning he had a stuffy nose with snot and boogers. I cleaned his nose and got him to go back to sleep but now it sounds like he can't breathe or his nose his stuffy. Could he be sick? He's been really fussy these past two days and I took his temp and it's 97.9. I don't know what to do or give him

Comments

• My baby was doing that and she was just coldn I've kept her wrapped in a thick blanket and no more stuffy nosr! When we go out it gets a little stuffy so we get real warm when we get home and once again its all better!
  • Is there anything I can do about his nose?
  • For a cold there isn't much you can do.
    I assume you did the under arm for a temp? If so remember its +1 so his temp would be 98.9 which is fine you do not need to worry until it hits 100.4 which you need to call your dr asap or take him to the emergency room.
    In the mean time for a cold here are things you can do to help while riding it out.
    You can buy some saline drops from your pharmacy that will help some to clear him up.
    Keep him propped up like in a bouncer to help with drainage.
    Be careful when clearing out his nose being to agressive can hurt it.
    Take him into the bathroom turn the shower on hot, close the door and steam it up and sit in there for 15 minutes while patting on his back like you're trying to burp him it will help loosen the phlem and get a humidiphire for his bedroom.
    Other then that you just have to wait it out
  • He's sleeping on his stomach. He only has a swing and he doesn't like it. I'm trying to get some sleep but hearin the way he is breathing is scary @littlefae
  • I know, they make some pretty freaky noises when not sick. You can do the shower trick before putting him to sleep so he clears up some. And getting the humidiphire (spelling) will help as well.
    It just sucks that there isn't much you can do when they have colds.
  • Use saline drops and a nasal bulb thats all you can do now
  • My 4 day old baby has a stuffy nose :( His first Dr appt is this afternoon, so I hope they can tell me how to clear it. The bulb isn't working
  • Go sit in the bathroom with your baby and turn the hot water on in the shower to steam it up. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Boogies are clear. Maybe he's just congested
  • Thanks ladies