Do you need to sterilize bottles

edited November 2011 in Pregnant
Does anyone sterilize their babies bottles by boiling and how often?

Comments

• Yes! I used playtex drop ins so I didn't need to sterilize them much I would just sterilize the nipples every so often..with reg bottles I hear u need to sterilize them alot
  • Yes i sterilize them everyday.
  • I use the drop ins and you can't boil the bottle part but I boil the nipples about once or twice a week
  • I use Playtex Ventaire & I sterilze every morning but I wash & clean bottles with hot tap water before each use especipally the nipple since she's still young and more prone to germs
  • I have an electric sterilizer, and put all bottles in before bed and start it. It only takes 5min and use really hot steam. I love knowing my babies bottles are super clean!
  • @myHEARTZx3
    @chanel22
    @gsmommy
    @misQ_1stTimeMommy2B
    @pregnantELF
    Thank you guys I was looking at the bottles cause we were doing alot of our shopping today and couldn't decide which one to buy cause I'm going to mostly breast feed but daddy will do bottles at night so I wasn't something that is a good transition and I saw that the drop ins but didn't wanna buy it because I know you cant boil that bottle so I'm trying to find another one thats good if your doing both and I would like to be able to boil them to sterilize. Any suggestions are welcomed and much needed. :)
  • I use nuk bottles. Love them. Wheb i was breast feeding there was np nipple confusion. I boil each time i wash. I also like them bc they don't have a ton of pieces. Just 3 not including the cap.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I use tommee tippee, the nipple is textured and shaped more like a brest, I do both and those were the ones my LC suggested!
  • No.... I boil when I first buy is really not needed. I did with my first 2 and not with this one and haven't noticed a difference at all....
  • Also I recommend avent I used it last 2 pregnancies for bfing but any slower flow bottle will work fine!
  • Medela sells bags for sterilizing... I love them!! You just rinse your stuff, put it in the bag, add water, then microwave it for 90 seconds and tadaaa! :D
  • Yes it helps prevent thrush I have a bottle steamer and I wash them in hot water too
  • Unfortunately my daughter got thrush. I sterilized with her.....
  • @sara102011 I saw those but fight know anything about it I will for sure go back and check those out again I just want it to be nice and easy for her and not get too confused ...and I would like to be able to sterilize :)
  • edited November 2011
    @pregnantELF I haven't seen those around but sounds like a great option if its shaped like a niple
  • When I breastfed I used the Playtex airvent wide ones and the breastflow and didn't have a problem with either one. I've sterilized her bottles like 2 tikes since I had her and she is 5.5months old. I've had no issues. I was told as long as I do it before the first use. I always rinse then before she uses them though.
  • @navybabyonway I was for sure leaning towards those two because of the holds on the bottom I would think it would really help with gas and all of that :)...
  • I sterilized religiously with my son but havent done anything but wash in hot water this time. I use tommee tippee and my daughter loves them and no nipple confusion.
  • @Jules the Playtex ones come in wide and regular and my daughter wouldn't take the regular ones only the wide
  • @navybabyontheway I had no idea I wonder why that is that they have two types in the first place?
  • Yeah I would sterilize the playtex ones before the first time I used it and then since it has drop ins I didn't need to sterilize them. I didn't boil someone got me a bottle sterilizer at my baby shower and i would boil the nipples
  • @myHEARTZx3 there were two types of playtex one was drop in and one regular. I don't mind having to sterilize them as long as my baby doesn't get sick.
  • @Jules I'm not sure why there is two bit I've noticed all the bottles that say they work with breastfeeding have wider nipples.
  • @navybabyontheway ya I noticed that too :) sometimes I wish it was just thee old fashion way and we didn't have all these choices. But sometimes its a good thing.
  • I've never have. No problems here.
  • I have the mam bottles there brilliant and they have silk teats they feel like skin :)
  • I think you should DEFINETELY sterilize all bottles after every use
  • I personally sterilize before every feed. It doesn't take long and makes sure the bottles clean x
  • I too sterilize before each feeding. I use the playtex drop ins and they r great! The bottle part u wash with sips and water only. They don't have to be sterile cuz it doesn't come in contact with milk or they baby. The liners do but those come pre sterilized for u. I have a sterilizer pot thing for the microwave and I just wash nipples and rings with soapy water rinse them and toss into the pot thing. Then just add 7oz of water to make the steam and zap it for 10 mins and there ya go! Sterilized bottles for every meal with little hassle for cleaning. The actual bottle part sometimes I just rinse it lightly cuz its only there to hold the liners which r sterile and u toss them out after every feed :) plus the nipples r good for bf too. My son had no nipple confusion and he started the bottles at about 5 days old.