social services ugh (kinda long)

okay, i'm not necessarily looking for any advice or anything, i just really am looking for an outlet to vent. i've worked my ass off since i was 16 years old (i'm now 27) and i've always ALWAYS had a job until this past may. i graduated with my nursing degree in dec, found out i was preggo in jan, took my NCLEX in feb and passed...and COULD NOT find a nursing job! i worked as a nurse aide and once you get your RN license you can't work as an aide anymore. i applied for positions i could at the hospital where i worked, but they were critical care (ICU and ER) and they don't typically hire new grads. i interviewed with the ICU but i wasn't given a position, and i'm 90% sure it was bc they knew i was pregnant...can't prove it, but that's my opinion. i worked at mcdonald's through high school and on and off during college (total 10 years), i needed a way to pay my bills, so i went back to mcdonald's while i continued to look for an RN job. because it was irresponsible of me, i stopped looking for RN positions at 5 months pregnant- i wouldn't be able to make it through orientation before it was time for maternity leave. anyway, shortly thereafter, mid-may the mcd's boss fired me, and lied through his teeth to unemployment, thereby making me ineligible to collect unemployment bc they'll always take the employer's side over the employee's (that's another story). so to be able to pay my bills and not default on my student loans, i had to turn to social services.

firstly, anyone who ever thinks or has thought that people who receive welfare live the high life, kinda like i did before i actually was receiving state aid, they're sorely mistaken. some may choose to spend the little $$ they receive in a poor fashion, but it is in no way enough to live on, or even pay the bills i so desperately need to pay in order not to royally f**k my future by defaulting on my loans. secondly, these county and state workers treated me like i am the regular, run-of-the-mill, stereotypical welfare recipient. i think i am outside of that stereotype in that i have my bachelor's degree in a respected profession. i'm not saying i am better than anyone else, so please, please, please don't take it that way. it's just that i'm sick of being treated like pond scum by these people. they are no better than i, and for the most part, no more educated. i have paid into the system for 11 years, and now that i need to use it, it's been nothing short of pulling teeth and running in circles to get help.

in particular, i'm speaking of one woman. what prompted this vent is my food stamp account has not been credited for november. i was just gonna say eff it, bc i can't stand talking to my caseworker who thinks she is god's gift to mankind, and also belittles me TO MY FACE about not taking my fiance to court for child support. um, hello?! he FULLY SUPPORTS me and our son!!!! he's is VERY involved in our lives. *why* would i do that when that puts us in a worse spot financially?! and truthfully, the food stamps help a WHOLE lot but i can do without it. but i also need to clarify something about medicaid, so i call the woman whose name AND signature AND phone number is on the bottom of my notification of approval for food stamps AND my medicaid app, AND she is who i saw at the office, and she says "i'm not your caseworker." she gives me the runaround and passes me off to someone else, who, ironically, isn't in the office today. all in all, i'm sick and friggin' TIRED of being treated like sh*t. i'm sorry this is so long, and thanks to those that read my vent through lol, but most of these "people" need a swift kick to the knees of their high horse so they know what it's like to be a client of theirs, and not live the cushy life of a government worker...and maybe, just maybe, they'll start treating people with respect. my stereotyped views of people on state aid has certainly changed, and i've learned from this that you can't judge a book by its cover, because never in my life did i ever think i'd be a "welfare mom", much less a "welfare mom" with a college degree.

Comments

• i would also like to add that since i've had my son, and bc of my troubles with the system and how hard i now know it is to be a welfare recipient, anything extra i have for my son that i don't use or things i'm given that i know i won't use, i've been donating to the clinic where i received my prenatal care. before this, it all would've been in the trash. again, i'm not trying to come across as "holier than thou" but i thoroughly appreciate how fortunate i've been in my life thus far, and there are people who struggle to get diapers and other things for their kids. so instead of my extra diapers being garbage, i want someone else's kid to be able to have them. it's opened my eyes completely having to go through this.
  • Ugh I know what you mean my caseworker is a dick I hate him.
  • Ugh I know what you mean. They tell me I make to much money to receive help. Um 9$ an hour is shit. Those that help themselves don't get anything from the state. We just need a little to get us by and they piss on us. Maybe we should all become crack heads. I know of drug addicts receiving $600+ food stamps. We all know they are trading it for drugs. Our system is fucked no natter what state you live in.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @samantha yes this is so true. the ones that try to help themselves, get sh*t on. i received $210/month. while i am glad to have gotten that, it paid ONE school bill. my necessities cost me $1100/month. and yes, they're necessities. i could do without my car, which is $338/month (i have an '08 mariner suv), but the other bills are school loan payments. (which, as a side bar, anyone looking for school loans, do NOT go with sallie mae!!! they don't work with you if somehow you're unable to make payments. they'll just send you into default.) in order to receive TANF once my son was born, they informed me that the state would take my fiance to court for child support, and of that payment, according to the pamphlets they gave me, i could see up to $100 of that. they keep the rest. so, let's say his child support order was for $500, I *might* see $100 of that, no guarantee though, and we'd be out $400+/month that we need. so i chose to not go that route since he supports us fully. it's really a screwed up system.
  • @2beforgotten ain't that the truth. they shuffle you around and never tell you why or who you're seeing for what. and you're there for hours on end! it's absolutely ridiculous.
  • I kno how u feel and don't feel bad, this economy have millionaire's looking jobs of lower pay(take the nba as example). I'm working &in school for nursing and had to move back home, I hate it! I was raised on welfare and hated seeing my mother struggle, so I felt the same way about no wanting to use govt assisstance NOT because I thought I was better than anyone but for the simple fact I knew that for the lil amount the give u it wasn't worth the hassle. The socail workers or so mean & rude sometimes & the lines or ridiculous. Basically I feel Govt aid is for temporary assisstance, is not for a person to live off their entie life and dats wat some do so it makes it hard on others!! Hopefully u can find a job soon!!

@Samantha I agree I kno a lot of ppl who receive benefits & don't take care of their kids, jus do drugs & sell em for money! But jus because they don't have a job they are entitled to them but we "working" and trying but can't receive nothin. Btw I live in Texas(its crazy here)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I worked for social services in the cash aid department. I was always respectful to all my clients and never gave an attitude to anyone, even the ones that were disrespectful to. As far as the amount they give and whether you get approved or not is gov policy and has nothing to do with the worker. But i use to see and hear coworkers who were rude to their clients...they were burnt out cuz so many of our clients were upset with policies and took it out on us. I always thought as part of quality control they should have had undercover people go apply to see how the workers treated them. So many gov workers need to move on cuz they lost their ability to empathise.

I now work for children and family services and i still give all my clients respect when working with them...even when they take out all their frustrations on me. I even have to be kind to the parents that have abused their children, sexually and physically, it is a challenge to say the least.
  • Omg I cant stand the caseworkers, I hate the way they treat clients like sh*t...i'm on walfare too but I choose not to go to their office I always do phone interview with them instead of dealing with em rude workers and waiting in line not knowing if u will be seen or not.
  • @2ndtimearound i understand it's a policy and there's guidelines and whatnot, i'm not complaining about the amount at all, it's better than $0...my frustration is with the caseworkers who think they are god's gift. they're not. they're humans just like me and at any time could possibly be where i'm at for reasons beyond their control. i agree, some, especially this woman i'm referencing, need to MOVE ON instead of being there for the paycheck. I got into nursing so i could help people, educate them differently than doctors do, not judge them on their lifestyle. it's human nature to have prejudices, but talk about them at the dinner table, apply the filter to the mouth and don't disrespect the person to their face. don't you (a collective 'you') think i already feel humiliated enough waiting in line at the social service office? ya don't have to throw it in my face.
  • @mam082711 I hear you. I guess i was never rude to my clients becuz i was once on the other side of the desk. When i was pregnant with my son i was in college and didnt have health insurance. I applied for medi-cal and the worker was so rude. I cried on my drive home becuz he made me feel so horrible.
  • I know what you mean! When I applied for medicaid they put me through hell and I'm pretty sure they were trying to get me to stop trying get accepted it took me almost three months.. there are so many rude people that work there I finally got the supervisor's number and called her and she got me qualified that day..