Cornmeal porridge for reflux!

edited November 2011 in Babies Health
Well I just wanted to share something with you ladies that appears to have helped my sons severe reflux 100%. So my son has suffered from reflux since birth and couldn't come home initially because of it :( Just this past week he was in the hospital and lost about 8 ounces for not keeping any feed down. He's been on Zantac and it seemed to haved helped but he was still having episodes of projectile vomitting and spitting up. He is also on Enfamil AR which helped but once again, he doesnt always keep it down and it constipates him severely, but thats another story...

Anyways, my mom decided she wanted to give him some very thin cornmeal porridge mixed with his milk. It's been 3 days and my baby has only "spit up" TWICE and it wasnt the usual VOMIT, it was barely anything to wipe!! I'm convinced it's the porridge. If anyone is interested in the recipe, let me know ill be glad to share! I'm so happy. In two months ive gone thru so much with this little guy, its a relief to see something working and not changing his clothes and bibs 10 times a day.

Comments

• My son had it bad too..Dr recommended starting him on single grain rice cereal...he has done great also! It's such a relief!
  • Im using oatmeal. The rice gave him too much gas
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • my bby is 2 monthd with acid reflux on rice cereal & zantac & she still spit up recipe PLLZZZ!!!!
  • Sorry for taking so long with this ladies ---

-We use a very very small grained cornmeal
    -instead of sugar, we use powdered glucose
    So bring about 2 1/2-3 cups of water to a boil, once its boiling, in a seperate cup/container, mix about 1 & a 1/2 cups of water with 2 tbsp of cornmeal together. Don't let the cornmeal settle before you pour it into the pot--pour in immediately after you stir. Any cornmeal left in the cup, take some hot water in the pot, swirl in and pour out. The porridge needs to cook for 20 minutes. Have your stove on medium heat and continuously stir the pot so it doesnt stick. **dont leave the pot unattended because it will boil over**
    --add a tbsp of glucose powder or u can use regular sugar

--take a pinch (literally) of salt and dash in

--mix separately about 4-6 ounces of baby formula and stir into the porridge

you can make it as thick or thin as you want. The longer it cooks, the thicker it will be. I go for the consistency where it coats the spoon but doesnt stick to the spoon. Cornmeal has to be cooked thoroughly though -- the grains kinda turn see through -- for lack of better explanation.

I bottle the porridge for the day. It'll usually be alittle thicker once its cold so I add about 1-2 ounces of formula that i mix separately and add to each bottle before I heat it for 30 seconds in the microwave. Once a day, I add 2 ounces of prune juice to his bottle because I dont wanna constipate him + his formula itself (enfamil AR) constipates him severely. U shouldnt have to do this is your babies formula isnt thick. My little man does not throw up ANY porridge at all the way formula comes up. Maybe a little with a burp but not like before when I would have to walk with a million bibs and extra blankets. I can lay him down without worry and he doesnt have to have a bib as a main accessory anymore. I hope you guys have the same success with this as I have and if I didnt explain it well enough, let me know and i'll do my best to clear up anything.
  • BTW the more cornmeal u add, the thicker it will be. The 2 tbsp doesnt have to be measured so there's room to play. Once the cornmeal has begun cooking, dont add anymore... I'd say 3 cups of boiling water should be okay because some of it will evaporate as its boiling and also as the porridge gains consistency
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.