i wanna be the milk monster :(

edited December 2011 in Breastfeeding
The lactation consultant told me my milk should start coming in 3-5 days after giving birth. Okay...am I suppose to be leaking it out by now? Cuz I'm not!!! It's been about 3 weeks and I only get a bit of milk by pumping, which I do every 2 hours, so about 10CC if I'm lucky. You guys probably heard these questions before. I'm sorry but....how do I build my milk supply up? Did me going into preterm labor affect my milk production?? My baby is going to be in the NICU for awhile. Could her not being here affect it?? I'm a bit frustrated because it just feels like I am not helping my baby at all. I want to be squirting darnit lol

Comments

• Pump often. Drink a lot of water. The more you pump, the more you'll make. Your baby will do a better job at getting out your milk better than a pump, but since you can't, the pump will suffice. You can take Fenugreek. Its 3 pills 3 times a day. There's also mothers milk tea. Have a photo of her to look at while pumping. Sometimes a visual of your baby helps the supply & letdown.
  • Are you up for a laugh? I have a video to share if you like comedy. It's not related to BF
  • You are just nursing right? Or are you supplementing? As long as your just nursing on demand which is the best, arl least every 2 to 3 hours and your baby is having enough wet and poopy diapers you should be good. Like pp said...don't go by what the pump gets out...your baby gets out a lot more. Yes def. nurse as much as possible! That is going to build your supply. Hope that helps also!
  • Inbox me if you want the link so the video doesn't undermine your post. :) I took Fenugreek to help, you may smell like syrup, but it's worth it! Don't feel discouraged!
  • @WonderWoman I'm on both the fenugreek and mothers milk tea which I can tell are helping. I just started them too :) when will it kick into full gear?? Sorry very impatient. I just feel like I am not doing enough for her

@DevineDesign always up for a laugh lol

@jnlelrod she's in the NICU right now so I am just pumping away lol doctors won't let me nurse till she's 32-34 wks. She's a preemie, born at 27 wks and the doctors want her strictly on bm till she's full term then she can have formula but I am planning to strictly bf
  • It takes about a week to really see the difference & you've got to stay consistent. Lots of water.
    why was she so early? How long does she have to stay?
  • K how do inbox ppl off my phone?? Oooh k, I been doing those :) I hope my milk comes soon. Doctors told me I had a weak cervix, I started dilating at 23 wks at 4cm but no contractions. She might be there till Feb if she continues to do well :)
  • Click on inbox, then on the conversation bubble. Start typing in the name you want to write to & viola!
  • Thats scary. I hope she comes home soon!
  • @marinewifey10 ohhhh I see :) Well then sounds like your doing everything right! Just keep pumping! Your a good mama :) That breastmilk is def. the healthiest for her. I hope she can be home with you asap!