to rock or not to rock

edited January 2012 in Pregnant
With both of my kids I never rocked them to,sleep, something my mom always did with us. My sister followed in my moms footsteps and ended up having to rock my niece to sleep til age two and even after would have to lay in her room til she fell asleep every night sometimes lasting an hour or two. I decided to not do that and just let my kids settle on their own, which proved to make them very independent and has gotten them into routine, bc we do the same thing night after night. I tell my two year old bedtime he grabs his little pillow heads to the bathroom to brush his teeth then gets in bed. Usually settling within 15 mins. They have never cried or if they did I'd always comfort them and they would be fine. My only problem with it is sometimes I do feel like just holdin g them, but bc they are so independent and used to doing things on their own they don't just really ever come and snuggle:(
Any input would be appreciated bc with the baby I'd like to do the same but if anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to.listen;)

Comments

• My son is 5months and had reflux really bad and colic..so rocked a lot..he still needs it most if the time..it makes things hard sometimes! So I understand what your saying but think what u have done us awesome. Maybe just occasionally have a cuddle night where u Rock them. Won't break routine but u will both look forward to it
  • I always rocked them until they were drowsey and then put them in their crib while they were still awake but that way we still got to cuddle a little. We. did that until one year old and then we read books before bed until two years old and once they hit two its bath pajamas teeth brushed and get to sleep. We have never had bedtime problems and i plan to do the same with my four month old
  • I rocked my first to sleep. I ended up having to take the rocking chair out of his room just before he turned 2 because he was getting to big to still be rocked. Now at 3, he gives me a very hard time at bedtime. I've decided with the new baby that I will do things differently. I lay him in bed when he's drowsy and let him fall asleep. If he gets a little fussy, I just par his tummy for a minute. He's only 10 weeks, but its working good so far.
  • I saw my best friend have such a hard time with her 3 year old at bed time because she got her use to being rocked to sleep. So when I had my baby I made sure to put him in his crib turn off the lights and let him go to sleep on his own. He is about to be 5 months and he has no problem falling asleep by himself :)
  • My baby never really liked to be rocked to sleep other people would try to force it b/c THEY felt like he should be but he would just fuss until he is laid down :/ not sure why but that's the way he likes it and it is awesome lol!
  • I rocked my first to sleep and learned my lesson.. now I lay down and nurse to sleep then move then straight to their bed.

I only rock when they're sick.
  • I rock my baby to sleep. It gave me awesome abs kuz I don't have a rocking chair upstairs, I do it on my bed sitting criss cross feeding her while rocking slightly its more of a habit now.
  • I rocked my 3 yr old when he was a baby and I rock my 4mo old, now, while nursing him. My 3yr old still climbs in my lap to cuddle while I rock him, but not dependant on it to fall asleep. I enjoy it and find the rocking motion relaxing even for myself.
  • Thx all, great feedback I appreciate it. I sometimes feel guilty bc the way my mom rocked us til we were sound asleep I feel like I should but seeing both sides from some of you helps. My mom would try to rock my kids when they were little but they weren't having it either, it seemed like she was upset I don't rock them, kinda felt like a bad mom. But I now can see alot of people do not rock or rock just enough to get them drowsy...I mean I rock while feeding but never wait til they are fully asleep.
  • We occasionally rock...but only till she is drowsy and then put in the pack n play. There were some nights tho that if we even moved she would be wide awake...but she was fighting sleep then.