What are the chances of my husband getting custody

edited January 2012 in Pregnant
I live in texas and it looks like we're going to get a divorce. I am so scared that he will get custody, he has a great job and i've stayed at home the past year. I'm basically going to be leaving with $50 plus my stuff, i'll have to live with my mom until i can find a job and get some money saved up. I cant imagine only seeing my princess every 3rd weekend, she's only 4 months :-S Please telle there's hope

Comments

• In Texas they are especially partial to mothers men have to pay child support you can argue that the reason you have nothing is because of the lifestyle u chose he works u r a full time mom he will b too busy working to properly care for the child good luck what city r u in
  • Thank you @preggointx i'm in abilene, i'm hoping i can come up with a schedule to keep him happy so he won't fight it
  • Is that how it goes in tx? I'm in mn and usually the dad has like every wed & every other weekend! I can't imagine waiting 3 weeks.
  • @babyluv8 i've only researched a little bit
  • My parents got divorced when I was 12. My mom didn't work for the longest time either, after they divorced she started in home day care, so she could stay home with my sister who at the time was like 4m I think. But the way it worked for us was we went to my dads every other weekend, every tues from like after school till 8pm and then fridays were the same way when we were at my moms for the weekend. He wanted more time with us so each thurs he would just get one of us, I went the first thurs, my brother the second and my sister the 3rd. The thurs didn't start I don't think till my sister was at least 2yo. I live in Ohio. I hope this puts your mind at lease that he won't get primary custody of her. How old is she? I know my sister didn't understand going back and forth when she was that little so she cried a lot, cause she was a mommys girl, so be prepared. It was also hard on my brother who was 9 at the time, but thats cause he doesn't like change. If you need anyone to talk to I'm here. I haven't gone through a divorce myself, but being old enough to understand everything when my parents divorced, I can give you a kids point of view. Good luck!
  • Sorry my first post was so long.
  • @britt21 don't be sorry, thank you! She's 4 months and already a momma's girl, i'm scared to leave her overnight with him. He sleeps really hard and unlike me, he's ok with her crying, he comes home from work takes her for 5 minutes then when she gets bored he puts her in her swing, every time. I don't think he'd fight for her too bad now, but when she gets old enough to talk and he could do things with her, he'll want her more. Will he be able to take me to court later?
  • He can't demand custody unless the baby's life is in danger with you. Besides he probably said get wants custody to hurt you.. there's barely any guys out there that want to be stuck with a baby at home every day.
  • If you are breastfeeding I makes a difference too
  • Also when u go to child support because ur baby it's so young u can request modified visitation no overnight visits at first they start at 4 hours and go up as the child gets older
  • Are you bfing? My cousin just went to court in TX and the father can't have overnight because baby is bf and too young. You will go to moderation and make a plan on a schedule you both like for when he gets the baby or you can just go through child support and they will tell you what days/weekends he gets
  • Yes he can...my parents have gone back like 2 or 3 times, but its been my mom taking my dad to get more money and less visitation.
  • edited January 2012
    Not to burst anyone's bubble but Texas isn't so mom friendly anymore. My sister in law has to split custody 50/50 with her ex, their daughter is one. Their custody battle has been going on almost a year and she is the one who is having to prove herself, even though she is a great mom. She lives with my inlaws and doesn't work. But a lot has to do with your child's assigned lawyer. My nieces blatantly favor the father for some unknown reason.

Oh and because she was only a few months old when all this started her dad got her for two hours, Tuesday and Thursday, every other Saturday and Sunday. After 3 full cycles more time was added. I think its a 3 month build up to overnight visits on weekends.