PCOS and Metformin??

edited January 2012 in Pregnant
So I was diagnosed w PCOS last year. I knew it would be difficult to get preggo... Well with the help of clomid, we got preggo in November. I miscarried beginning of January. The doc wouldn't do any testing, just said "it happens". Well I started researching on my own... From what I found, women with PCOS have a 45% miscarriage rate. Now, I've read that doctors are prescribing Metformin for women with PCOS. Some studies say that with Metformin, chances of miscarriage go down from 45% to 9%. Does anyone else have experience with this??? Anyone taken Metformin or something else like progesterone to prevent another miscarriage?? I changed doctors because of the way he treated (ignored) the miscarriage.

Comments

• I also got pregnant in November and had my first appointment at 6 weeks in December. At that point my doctor told me to stop taking my metformin since I wasn't going to need it to try to help ovulation. She did not say anything about an increased rick of miscarriage with my pcos. I had a blood draw and asked about progesterone levels and was told everything was good. I am sorry for your loss! How many rounds of clomid did it take and how high a dose?
  • 1 round, 50mg... We got way to lucky. Once I got pregnant, the doc wouldn't do anything until I made it past the first trimester. No blood work, no ultrasounds, nothing. And so when I lost it and he just said oh... Well it happens... I didn't take it very well. So hopefully i can get better care out of the new doc. No one told me of an increased risk either, but when I looked it up... Stats are almost 50/50. And ill do almost anything to not lose the next one. So i wanted peoples experiences and input. :(
  • Anyone else?
  • I have pcos and have had 3 mc. 2 live births. Seems like with most drs you have to have at least 2 mc before they'll take you serious. They finally gave me progesterone after my 3rd mc which is why my 3 mo old is here now. Its a terrible thing.
  • Its terrible how they handle it, not that my lo is here. Lol
  • I'm hoping to try and (for lack of a better term) see if I can gather enough info to "bully" the doc into taking this more seriously... See if i can avoid having to go thru this misery 2 more times.
  • I do have PCOS. I was never put on Metformin prior to getting pregnant. However, as soon as I got pregnant my fertility doctor immediately put me on progesterone cream. I used it until I was 12 weeks along. I'm now on Metformin because we aren't ttc until next January. It helps regulate periods, but I don't know that it stops miscarriages. I've had 1it live birth, no miscarriages. Thankfully. I Aldo had to have an hsg and be on femara to conceive.
  • I would just like the doc to do SOMETHING next time... Not wait and see if ill make it to the second trimester and THEN act like I'm preggo... I was so mad.
  • @bexiewexie have you had a mc before? Congrats!!!!
  • I thought metformin was a diabetes medicine? My dad is on it for his type II diabetes.
  • @frantastic it is a diabetic medication. It's also being used to treat PCOS now because somehow it helps regulate hormones and regulates periods. Cause I know personally, my testosterone levels are to high and I don't have periods but maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Nor do I ovulate when i do have a period. Metformin studies show it fixes this. Also, with PCOS, from what I'm reading, miscarriages are more common and the medicine lowers the chance of it buy fixing hormone levels.
  • Oh wow that's pretty cool, learn something new on pregly every day. I hope it works for you :-)
  • @frantastic I hope I can convince the military docs to let me try it!!! That or at least the progesterone suppositories (sp?) Just something to try and prevent another miscarriage :(