Hiring a stranger to watch your new born?

edited January 2012 in First time moms
So I don't have family nor my BF his family is a town away, I don't have family period I found a girl/lady on Craigslist haven't met her yet. What do you ask? So you know your baby will be safe? And she's a good person? On her post said that she's expecting her first baby bit loves kids and has watched kids before! I'm meeting her today at six I'm nervous do you girls think its rude if I ask who will be there,when is she due,and if she will still watch her when she gives birth? Please help I feel lost and confused:(

Comments

• I don't think its rude at all I wuld definantly ask
  • Ask for references too and def a background check
  • @Mrz_Jackson2anpreggo Ty
    @mom2ing Ty didn't think about those ?'s
  • Ty ladies and where would I go to do a background check?
  • Oh wow ok Ty so much! I do want Marley on a schedule she's four months but we make her exercise her little feet arms pretty much just stretch and tummy time so I hope she does those things I won't be there to see and ppl are not always so honest
  • You are very brave for letting your LO stay with a stranger, I wouldn't be able to ever :-S
  • You should try care.com, they do background checks on all their sitters. I wouldn't trust Craigslist honestly.
  • Same here I would never trust craiglislist .try care.com .
  • edited January 2012
  • edited January 2012
  • I have a home daycare...going on 8 years now. I advertise on craigslist because it is free which helps me to keep my fees down. There is nothing wrong with craigslistlist as long as parents do their homework. @mom2ing gave you lots of good tips. I would also find out if she is licensed,child to caregivers ratio, if she has an open door policy to where you can pop in unannounced to check on your baby, definitely what other adults are there and background check anyone over 18! Cleanliness is huge, ask for references and check those references...all of them. Make sure she has a policy handbook with a contract that you both sign. This will protect you against new rules just popping up like shortening of hours when you pay, etc. Find out what kind of leave she will take when baby comes and what she will do if illness closes daycare. I would not recommend using a sitter who does not have experience or references. Lots of people think babysitter is quick money to later quit because if you do it right its a lot of work...and know that providers put out a lot of money to run a good in home daycare. If the rates are way lower than average for your area you might be a bit skeptical. Most daycare that stay in business have average rates. If she cares for or plans to care for more children, find out how she does new family interviews. I don't do initial meet and greets during daycare hours. That is for the safety of the kiddos in my care. Also, avoid ads that have pictures of daycare kids...that is very unsafe and just asking for a predator.
  • Ps...sorry for such a long post. I am very passionate about my job and want all parents to have the best daycare experience possible:-)
  • I would get a background check on the husband too.
  • Ty ladies but my BF and I decided I would quite my job and find a part time really early since he works at night plus I'm going back to school this summer! I took all your advises but I didn't care for any of the ppl I met or the young high school girls my heart break just the thought of leaving her:/ Ty so much it was very help full:)