when can I start juice??

edited March 2012 in Babies Health
my baby is 6 months ..im wondering when can I start giving her some watered down.juice?? Nd what kind?? How much?

Comments

• @naliibby2 I have been giving my 7mo old son juice since he was 4 months. I started out with the apple prune juice to help with constipation. But now that he is a big boy, I give him juice by itself, I don't add water to it.
  • A paper I got from WIC say's not to give juice to babies under a 1, but I'd guess watered down juice would be fine as long as it's not in a bottle, but a sippy cup.
  • I was thinkn 6 months
  • Wow really @ericak22 Wic used to give juice starting at 4months.
  • @Steph_Due_101611 yep i found the paper the other day from when I had WIC last year. Maybe it's different here in Florida, but it says no juice before 1.
  • Wow. @ericak22 well my son is 4 and perfectly fine. Ive been giving my lo juice since 3.5 months for constipation. Half juice half water.
  • @Steph_Due_101611 it also says to give baby water from 6months on..which I find it be a little strange. I gave my son apple prune juice when he was 2 months old for constipation.
  • It's all up to your discretion. It's not necessary under a year, but I give my 7 month old watered down juice occasionally. The cold juice in his nuk sippy nipple helps when he is teething. :)
  • Thanks everyone! Do I find the juice in baby section?
  • How often should I give her sum??
  • Every couple of days is fine. Try to avoid putting it in a bottle and instead a stage one sippy so baby can get adjusted to drinking out of one :)
  • With my first son 4 years ago, Wic gave me vouchers for juice at 6 months old I believe. It could have been 4 months, but either way, your lo is old enough if you choose to do it.
  • My baby loves those gerber juices my doctor said it was ok at.4 months just not to give him adult juice only the gerber
  • edited March 2012
    Good for you, @ta2edblondie! :)
  • I found this for you:

"Baby juice" is not special nor is it magical. You would do better by purchasing "adult" 100% natural juice. Ensure that the juice (or even applesauce.) you purchase has no ingredients other than apples (or another fruit) and water. A few juices will contain Ascorbic Acid - this is fine as Ascorbic Acid is Vitamin C. You want to stay away from any type of juice or other food that contains high fructose corn syrup. Many fruit juices will contain this yucky ingredients so please read the labels. Read more about giving baby juice

(Many parents do not wish to offer their infants any type of fruit juice at all and we do not advocate fruit juice as a constant beverage. Juices should be used very sparingly, if at all. We recommend always diluting any juice that is offered. Juices are good for helping to alleviate constipation. Read more at The Use and Misuse of Fruit Juice as published by the American Academy of Pediatrics)
  • ^ thats good info! We chose to not give our children juice at all. We will make homemade juice once in a while but never store bought.
  • Wic and pedi told me between 4-6 months