my sister

edited March 2012 in Labor
My sister is due the 20th...her Dr is inducing her Thu which is two days from her due date. She isn't high risk or anything...I just think bc he Dr is on vacation the week after she wants to fit her in. Mind you there are two Dr's at her practice which my sis has seen both. Is it normal to induce that early? My friend just got induced yesterday and she was 13 days past her due date. My Dr said they would induce me if u go past my due date by a week. Most Dr's go a week or two beyond the due date unless something is wrong. I personally wouldn't want to be induced bc my poor friend is only 3 cm and they started her yesterday morning...she said it can take up to 36 hours! Also, I've heard its more painful bc they are forcing you to go into labor, of course I understand why my friend had to be induced bc she was way overdue but why my sister. I'm only concerned bc its her first and I'm afraid she will be in alot of pain:(
I don't know just kinda venting bc I've never seen a Dr do this and the Dr she picked delivers at the areas worst hospital...of course I can't tell my sister that bc she gets all defensive when I try to tell her stuff...oh well.

Comments

• Most OBs offer inductions at 39 weeks for women who want it, high risk or not. Totally normal. A midwife is not going to offer an early induction without very good reason.
  • Oh wow, never heard of that. Mine told me they wouldn't until a week after my due date. My cousin was 14 days past and My friend was 13 days past her due date. My last OB was the same he allowed you to go up to two weeks past the due date tho. Plus my sister didn't ask for it, she actually wasn't even caring if she went past just wanted to go on her own so its not like she asked about it.
  • Alot of OB's do it for convenience purposes...and malpractice issues. They feel that the risks can increase past a due date and if that does happen, they can be sued and possibly lose their medical license to practice.

...I don't agree with it though. I feel that a pregnancy needs as little interference as possible if it is not high risk and that baby will come when he/she is ready. Inductions have a plethora of risks and increase the chance of c-section by 50%. However, it's everyone's individual choice. I don't knock anyone for wanting an induction. I just wish more were educated on the matter!
  • My dr would do it a week early but only if i was dialating. I wasnt until 5 days after my due date.
  • i am 39 weeks and 2 days just left the doc and i will be induced tommorrow at 12 noon due to the fact that he is messuring 41 weeks and 5 days and is 9 lbs just had a ultrasoiund to confirm im excitied
  • @jennylynne87 yes, mine too if I was dilated. I just think if my sister didn't even ask then why do it...
    @captivated I agree, that's what bothers me is she didn't request it and I'm not sure she understands it all. But I'm afraid to say anything bc people in my family get all bent out of shape about anyone having an opinion.
    @Mom2ING I understand what you're saying bc meconium can actually cause phenomena if it happens and after due dates they can swallow the bowel movement. But my sis didn't request it and its only one day past the due date.
  • @misscali3 I could see that bc your measuring bigger and the baby is bigger, good luck:)
  • I didn't request it with either of mine, they offered :) Lol.
  • @misscali3 oh that sucks that he is measuring 9 pds let's hope he weights less and they are wrong. So exciting that your getting induced tomorrow. You will have to read my post about my induction. We are due the same day so you are a lucky duck. Hope all goes well.