anyones child ever have scarlett fever?

Curious if anyone's child has ever had scarlett fever? If so, how did ur doc treat it? My 7 yr old woke up sat night vomiting w a fever. I thought she might have the stomach flu. All day sunday she couldnt keep anything down and had a fever. Monday no vomiting, just fever. Tuesday she told me her throat hurt... I looked and her throat was gross and her tounge looked really strange. And i noticed a rash starting on her upper body. Needless to say i got her in right away. Her normal doc wasnt in so she saw a npn. She did a rapid strep test and was positive. She got put on amoxacillin. I googled "rash with strep throat" and scarlett fever came up and she has all the symptoms to a t. Now... Im just wondering if the amoxacillin will be enough?? Anyone know?

Comments

• Bump... I have no idea, I didn't think people still got that.
  • @My2Boys i didnt think so either. I guess its the same bacteria as strep throat tho....?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ltlnckl thank u. She's been on meds now for 24 hours. They seem to b helping. Fever is gone but shes still feeling crappy. I feel so bad for her. She lost 5 pounds since sunday. She wouldnt eat anything till tonight.
  • My daughter developed Rheumatic Fever from strep throat. I'm assuming it's the same thing. She now has a heart defect from it.
  • My brother had that all the time as a kid. He always had strep throat too.
  • And yes, the antibiotics are enough as long as her symptoms are gone and haven't gotten worse. If it wasn't effective, she would likely have had a seizure like mine did, her fever would not subside and the rash would worsen.
  • @mam082711 does he have any lasting problems from it?

@captivated that's scary! The rash is still there... Not bugging her too bad tho. Been giving her benadryl for it. Not sure if thats helping but just in case. Hasnt had a fever over 100 all day today, thank God! How did u find out ur daughter got a heart defect from it? I just read thats pretty common from the rheumatic fever. I read the rheumatic fever can come a couple weeks after strep or scarlet fever.... All too scary for me. I stress really bad when my kids get sick. :(
  • @mommyof3girls not that I'm aware of. he always had ear infections and strep as a kid. If she's already seeming to improve I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye out. :-) hope she feels better.
  • The reason she developed it is because her strep was untreated for almost two weeks. She got to the point of being deathly sick. I took her in daily, called three ambulances on her and they kept telling me nothing was wrong. Finally they figured out it was strep, gave her antibiotics and she was fine. She was one and a half. She is three now and we just found out about the defect at a regular checkup. We are waiting on tests from ped cardiologist
  • I had it when I was 4yrs. I remember being on antibiotics. I think I was sick for about a week our so....and no lasting effects. Hope she feels better soon.
  • @captivated thats insane that they didnt figure it out sooner. Wtf? People really need to understand moms know thier kids best and when they say somethings wrong... Than something wrong. Wow!

Thanks ladies. Shes doing great today... As in shes finally eating. :) just a bit tired still but doing SO MUCH better. Fingered crossed no one else gets it.
  • I had it when I was in jr high. Was on antibiotics and missed almost 2 weeks of school. No lasting effects and no one else