feeling like a bad mommy

edited April 2012 in Babies Health
So Xavier was pulling on his ears last week so Friday i made a doctor appointment for today thinking he yet again had an ear infection. So i get to the doctor he looks into his ears and says no infection have you looked in his mouth.i say he. was pulling on his ears why would i look in his mouth. The doctor pulls up his kip and the whole top of his gums are swollen. I felt so bad i could of been giving him something all weekend he suffered. i never accured to me to look to see if his gums were swollen since he was pulling on ears.

Comments

• Why would you? You thought it was ears. I don't know that I would have thought to look at his gums right away, either. You're not a bad mommy hon. It's a learning curve.
  • Thanks @rtmommy he just said it so matter of factly like it would be the obvious thing to do it made me feel so bad.
  • I like the way @rtmommy put it..it a learning curve. We learn as we go right along with baby. You took him for appropriate medical care when you Felt it was needed, that makes you a good mommy imo :) don't feel bad
  • Thanks @ momtob sometimes i think he should of come with an owners manual lol
  • We all wish for an owners manual. Lol doctor aside, don't forget some people are just dicks. ;) haha so don't let him upset you. You took your son in. That was the best thing you could do when you thought there was a problem. Now relax and forgive yourself. :)
  • I'll try @rtmommy the support helps lots >:D<
  • You should've told him no but why you being such a dick you getting paid for this right so just tell me what to do so I can get the hell out of here lol that's just me though don't feel bad girl
  • Lol @newmomma13 that is usually how i am too. i don't think that he was trying to be an *ss about it. It just came out like duh did you look in his mouth.i think i am just over sensitive cause i feel bad that he suffered all weekend when i could of done something about it.
  • These ladies have given you awesome words of encouragement. I agree, you did the right thing!
  • I hope he explained why you would look in the mouth! He better have!! I dislike Dr.s that think you should know these types of things, ugh.

You are definitely not a bad mommy!
  • @molly agree i have found great support here not only this times but many times before.@majita thank you not really an explination other than the fact that his formula consumtion went down but that could of happened with an ear infection also. Infact that is why i took him last time and he had a ear infection
  • dont feel bad, i wouldnt of known to look in her mouth if she was pulling on her ears. next time just give him some pediacare or if he's old enough for advil.
  • I went to buy a car and the salesman told me that my son was tugging on his ears because he was cutting teeth. Lucky me he is tugging again. Lol
  • @mommylovessparkle yeah it just didn'ty register that pulling on his ears would be him teething .i try to alternate the pedicare and advil. Some times i think that it does nothing.@ candy101 hope your having better luck with your teething lo mine has been a bear.hopefully these teeth come through soon before i lose my sanity.
  • Gum pain radiates to the ears and babies well display discomfort by playing or tugging on them.

Try wetting a wash cloth and roll it up and freeze it. Let your LO chew on it. See if that helps. Poor baby!
  • @mijita thanks i had never heard that.i will difinitly try the wash cloth