i gave in :( stupid me

I'm so mad at myself. I gave in tonight and gave my baby formula because my husband was bitching that he was so tired and that his heart was hurting(he has a heart condition that seems to worsen when hes over tired or stressed) that I just gave my son 2 oz of formula to shut them both up. Now I'm so distressed over this I yelled at my husband afterwards that I'm throwing the damn bottles they gave us at the hospital away and that he was being a jerk...I just wished I had support from him that I'm actually doing a good job at this breastfeeding stuff because right now I feel like a total failure. :(

Comments

• your not a failure. formula is good too.
  • I know its not bad. I gave my first one formula and shes just as healthy. I'm just upset because breastfeeding is finally working out for me this time and I don't want to do anything that will ruin it...
  • Dont stress. One bottle wont harm anything hunny. I know its hard not having the support you need but thats what you have us pregglies for xox
  • edited May 2012
    I'm trying not to but ive been crying for the past 2 hours over this crap. My husband doesn't seem to understand how hurt I am. Hes always saying "just give him a bottle...give him a bottle....blah blah blah" I don't know how obvious I have to be with him to let him know that I want this breastfeeding to work out longer than just 2 wks...
  • Tell him to mind his own business lol my fiance wasn't overly supportive but at the same time didn't push for me to try bottles. He just let me do my own thing. I would ask him to be quiet if he cant be genuinely helpful. Babies do not need to be fed every time they make a noise. Unfortunately men seem to thing feeding babies is the best and only solution to fix a cranky baby... If only I had a dollar for every time my fiance handed the baby back to me only 20mins after a feed claiming that she was hungry lol
  • That's what I tell him too but he thinks "oh hes sucking on his pacifier he must be hungry" and always tells me my milk must not be enough because the "baby is always hungry and crying"
  • My bf was the same way sometimes, and I would politely tell him to f*ck off lol. They don't have any idea what they're talking about.
  • Tell him that a babies job is to poop cry and eat! Lol. Your doing a great job momma don't stress! Next time tell him (politely) that if he can't be helpful to be quiet! And that unless your doc TELLS you to do formula you are going to keep doing the breastfeedibg thing!
  • Agree ^^^^
    breast fed babies do eat more often as its more easily digested than formula, you're doing a great job so far momma & the more you feed the more milk you'll make :-)
  • Oh & I personally refused to have any formula or bottles in the house despite everyone telling me to "just in case", there were a few times when I was exhausted & emotional that I would have used it & now I'm so glad I didn't xxxx
  • ^^^agreed! I to mysf that Walmart is open 24hrs and if I ever NEEDED the formula I could send the hubs!
  • Also she was right about breastmilk being super digestsable! So your baby will eat more often!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • at first it seems lime the baby is always on the boob. just keep going! tell him how important this is to you and that you need support. try to shoe him all be awesome facts that come with breastfeeding your baby. i promise it will get easier. :)
  • edited May 2012
    That's what ive told him too. Hes just hardheaded. I'm so mad at him for making me feel guilty for what I'm doing. I didn't buy formula but was given the formula by the hospital because I was supplementing when I was there for his jaundice. Ive been up.since 12:30 because I'm pissed. Of course he got his "precious sleep" last night (he snored the whole time). Now he wants to be all lovey dovey with me and make me breakfast.. X(
  • edited May 2012
    I know that feeling of failure! Lily lost 10% of get body weight within the first 5 days of life. Dr told me to supplement and I refused. I pumped, pumped and pumped. Hubby kept telling me to just give the baby formula. These words alone killed me, how could my own hubby not support me. Any little whimper meant she was starving. To pacify him I did supplement, but only with the pumped breast milk and only AFTER I fed from the boob.

If you decide to keep supplementing, make sure you pump so that you don't lose supply. This is one thing I kept telling hubby, that he needed to understand that milk was a supply and demand deal. If I supplemented I'd lose supply, he backed off and left me alone.

Do you have a breastfeeding support group you can attend? They are wonderful.

Good luck momma, I'm proud of you and by no means are you a failure. You are doing a wonderful job!
  • edited May 2012
    Hes been yelling at me for the past 30 minutes. This is the worst mothers day ever and its only my first one. :(
  • That's what I don't understand. He was mad when I said I didn't plan on breastfeeding my first one. So to make him happy I attempted to but she never did get the hang of it and I was suffering too bad from PPD to keep up pumping for her. After that he made me feel bad for "not breastfeeding for that long" and when I got pregnant again I told him I was going to try breastfeeding again which to that he huff and puff at the books I read the nice pump I bought the nursing bras etc. Now hes putting me on a two week guilt trip for the choice to breastfeeding our son. I just don't understand him
  • You are so right. Thank you :)