fever

edited June 2012 in Babies Health
She felt warm last night so we took her temp it was 100.4 under her arm. She had also been crying and nursing so I thought it was from her being near me and crying. It was bed time so it was normal for her to be acting that way. So we opted not to give her meds. She cooled down a lot before she actually fell asleep. This morning she is still warm so I took her temp again the same way and it was a 97.7. I'm a ftm and so worried about giving her meds cause she never acts like she doesn't feel well. She had a double sad infection at 4 months and we would've never known unless we had her check up. She is 7.5 months now.

Comments

• Best way to take a babies temp is either rectally or in the ear, under the arm isn't accurate.

100.4 is considered a very low grade fever, as it isn't really considered a fever until it hits 100.4. So, giving meds for anything lower than that isn't necessary. Honestly, giving meds for anything below 102° isn't necessary either. Fever, contrary to popular belief, is a good thing, so long as it isn't high.

I would only give her meds if she seems very uncomfortable. If she's okay, I wouldn't bother with them. Keep an eye on her and if everything seems persistent, take her into her doc.
  • I agree only give meds, for a fever that low, if she is uncomfortable. Have you checked her mouth? Ollie always has a low grade fever when he is teething.
  • A fever is 104.5, i think thats what she meant.
  • @lilsugarsmommy thanks I knew it was a low grade that's why I wasn't too concened but I didn't want her to go to sleep and then have it get higher and I not know...silly ftm nerves lol.
    @ashley_smashley she has been chewing in EVERYTHING so I figure its just teeth...nothing is coming through yet.
    @caroline8_p I knew anything over 102 was considered an actual fever. And idk who you meant by she but she was saying my daughters fever last night was 100.4.

Update: she still feels warm but its still at a 97.7
  • I found my ear thermometer so I took her temp with that and it was 97.9 she is still ok.
  • Was referimg to lilsugarmommas 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence. (Second temp number)