Switching to milk

edited July 2012 in Pregnant
When and how do I do this?

Comments

• They aren't suppose to get milk till at least a yr and bump to the second part.
  • oh @trixiesmom8 I thought you could give it to them before 1 year...
  • Not from what I have heard...they could still become allergic, I think. But my friend gave her son milk like a month before he turned one and he is ok so I'm not too sure..maybe I am wrong. I am a ftm and have done research but maybe not enough lol.
  • @trixiesmom8 I'm a ftm too.... I just learned no chocolate till 2 years, but my sons had it since he's been like 6 months.
  • No milk until atleast a year...they need BM or formula for the nutrients...plus cows milk is super hard on their tummies.
  • edited July 2012
    I slowly started giving it to my daughter at about 11 months. She was no longer wanting her formula and she was completely switch on her 1st birthday. I did it little by little mixing it with her formula. So she was getting an 8oz bottle and 6oz was formula 2oz was whole milk. I would increase the amount of milk and decrease the amount of formula every few days to a week.
  • I did 2oz of whole milk with 6oz of formula for a week, and increased the amount of whole milk each week by 2oz, and he did fine when he no longer got formula. No problems with it bothering his tummy. And I started doing it at 11 months since they aren't supposed to have full whole milk until 1.
  • edited July 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My ped. said 11 months we could begin doing part reg milk mixed with part formula. I think it's totally up to you onto when. I had a baby in daycare whose mom was switching her at 10 months. We plan on waiting til around 11 with ours. He's not much a big milk drinker anymore, he'd rather have food (unless he's teething).
  • I believe a big part if it is nutrients too. If they're not eating solids well, I wouldn't consider switching just yet.
  • Oh I didn't know about the chocolate! Thanks for that info.
  • With my first, a day before she turned one, I took away her bottles and replaced them with cups. On her first bday, I gave her only milk. No issues at all. My son turns one in a couple weeks and has been getting milk occasionally for a month now.because he refuses anything else during the day at daycare. Not even my breastmilk in his dippy. Only wants it from the tap.
  • I don't pump anymore either! @homebirthadvocate. YAY!!
  • It is such a relief not having to desperately find the time or room to pump in at the nursing homes and hospitals! They wouldn't let me use the pumping room for patients! Ugh.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate @captivated how do you ladies stop pumping? I'm so ready to be free hahaha my son hasn't drank much milk
  • My supply is well established. My son wouldn't eat during the day at school. Only food. Around 10 mo I stopped because he ate less often.