Weight Loss Surgery

edited July 2012 in Health
Has anyone had a weight loss surgery or have someone close to you that has?

What surgery was it?
What was the outcome?

Comments

• My cousin had gastric bypass and lost tons of weight, but she's gained a little back and been stuck. She'd be much smaller looking if she could afford to have the extra skin removed. I tried getting Lapband but screwed myself by gaining 20lbs between appointments before planning for surgery :(
  • @firsttymemom ... Why did you pick lap band
  • My Aunt got lap band in 2007, she lost a lot of weight! I would guess at least 125-150! She has kept it off, probably gained a little back. But its surely a difference from how I saw her while growing up.
  • It wasn't quite as dangerous as the bypass, the bypass they start rerouting your intestines and with Lapband they just go in and put a band around the top of your stomach, and they can also adjust it as needed from the outside. Also if for some reason you want it removed it can be, whereas the bypass is permanent.
  • I work on a surgical unit and we do gastric bypass /gastric sleeving ... I would NEVER recommend either .. they are highly dangerous and the bypass is irreversible .. we get more patients back with issues then we get the actual surgery .. many become extremely malnourished and some wind up not being able to eat at all because of the surgery .. I would however recommend gastric banding .. like stated above .. if there are any issues it 100% reversible .. if the band is to tight they can loosen it and if you would stop loosing weight they can tighten it .. you would however loose more weight with the gastric bypass but IMO its not worth it .. hope this helps
  • edited July 2012
    @Mostephanite ... Oh wow! Thanks for the info ... Where do you work? They were saying they stitch the lapband into place now
  • I would highly recommend a diet change of lifestyle like Weight Watchers. It allows for slower weight loss without severe restrictions. The procedures mentioned above require a drastic change of lifestyle (i.e. severe caloric restriction with a dose modification) that increase feelings of deprivation which increase the chances of failure.

Weight Watchers allows you to eat anything, just in moderation. It teaches you healthier eating habits and encourages physical activity. You lose weight slower which supports longer weight loss maintenance, plus you don't have rapid or dramatic weight loss that encourages muscle loss and excess skin.
  • My hubby had lapband and has lost 50lbs...its a complete lifestyle change. Don't just think you can still eat whatever just in smaller portions.
  • I have an acquaintance who had bypass successfully & she had a friend who had bypass & died from it. :/
  • I work in the Reading hospital in PA.. they do stitch it on so it doesn't slip out of place but it is still easily adjustable
  • I know a woman who went to Mexico to get her stomach stapled cause it was $7000 to do it there and $18000 to do it in the U.S.
    So far she's kept the weight off but I would NEVER go to those extreme measures. Too risky.
  • edited July 2012
    Ok PARTY PEOPLE... My doctor is referring me for weight loss surgery because ..

Hypertension and my blood pressure meds are not bringing it down

I have asthma that has gotten worse

I have a history of having a tracheotomy so my asthma flares up super bad.

I have to have my rorator cuff replaced in my shoulder but my doctor can't do it until my BP is down.

I'm 240 pounds (but still look like the shit) but because of ALL OTHER ISSUES my doctor doesn't want me to go out and exercise life crazy cause I obviously can't with asthma, high BP and a hurt shoulder.

I already eat healthy and have lost some weight.

So PEOPLE... This is recommendes by my doctor. It's my choice on which of the 3 surgeries I want to go through and at the same time I can also decide not to do any of them... But I'm doing it

Please share any experience stories!
  • Sorry I was having a moment.